The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish883
No bull**** I've done that. Didn't work out too well though... I guess my bic and my girl's manicure kit wasn't sterile enough and it got all kinds of infected. I will spare the details, but in short my toe "popped" when I was playing hockey a week or so later. I did it to avoid going to a real doctor and ended up having to go anyway, and it cost more than it would have it had just gone in the first place...

Don't do your own surgery, no matter how minor...

Manicure kit?

What, your Buck wasn't sharp enough? Them manicure impleemints have been under her fingernails, y'know...an' God only knows where her fingers have been.

If you was a real biker, you'd just chop off that toe again, an' hope it didn't grow back so fast this time.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gimp

Manicure kit?

What, your Buck wasn't sharp enough? Them manicure impleemints have been under her fingernails, y'know...an' God only knows where her fingers have been.

If you was a real biker, you'd just chop off that toe again, an' hope it didn't grow back so fast this time.
You make good points... The manicure kit thing, well, that sh*t was like my tool box, only for nail stuff. It had all these little scissor deals, pin things, a scalpel-like knife, etc. I did use fire on all of it before starting, guess it just wasn't enough.

On a more "serious" note, regarding the word in question and 1%ers. I am not affiliated in any way with any clubs, especially a 1% club, but I have had beers with a few over the years. I never really saw them as the definition of "biker" to be honest. To me, they are 1%ers. That is their definition more than "biker" is. They do stuff I won't do and live I life I couldn't live. During those few beers over the years I always took one thing away, they were (in my experience) all pretty cool guys that weren't that different from me on a lot of levels, however they choose to take what differences they do have to points I am not willing to do. Yeah, by movie standards and common vernacular, they are the picture of a "biker", but there is a lot more to it than that.

To me a biker is someone that takes their love of riding motorcycles to higher levels than your average guy. Riding year round, rain or shine; not owning a car, dressing in such a way that you're always ready to ride and basing your clothing on the practicality of riding, etc.

I feel that the term "biker" evolved into depicting only the 1%er types as a result of skewed media that caused the bare metal meaning of the word to be lost long ago.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Irish, I never made it past hangaround to mascot, and that was in my pre-drinking-age days, but looking back, I really can't recall ever hearing my buddies use the word 'biker' at all. I think this is one step past "if you have to ask, you won't understand" and goes all the way to "if you ask the answer is no."

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,062 Likes on 8,669 Posts

Originally Posted by 45fan
I don't know what I am or what you are but the guy is an idiot. If he thinks a beard makes him a "biker" he is in trouble. Sounds like I am a little older than you so take a fools advice, find other folks to hang around. There is at of people in this world that it is just easier and better to walk around and let them think they past you..... JMHO
I bet that "biker" doesn`t even have the "M" endorsement on his drivers license. `Hope the dealer didn`t let him do any test ride.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SharkBait13
I'm pretty sure "bikers" are those guys and gals that ride bicycles with really thin tires in multi colored spandex shorts and shirts and funny shaped helmets. Right??

Don`t laugh. I do that too as well as ride my motorcycle. I keeps me in decent shape and gives me more energy. However, I DON`T make it a point to try to stand out and look "cool". That only makes one look like a douche.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Irish883
No bull**** I've done that. Didn't work out too well though... I guess my bic and my girl's manicure kit wasn't sterile enough and it got all kinds of infected. I will spare the details, but in short my toe "popped" when I was playing hockey a week or so later. I did it to avoid going to a real doctor and ended up having to go anyway, and it cost more than it would have it had just gone in the first place...

Don't do your own surgery, no matter how minor...

Oh, I dunno. My left boot rubs the outside of my foot just enough to raise a callus. So, every few weeks I use a toenail clipper to shave it down. So far, I haven`t cut deep enough to draw blood, and it gets the job done.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Wink

Originally Posted by MemphisFatBoy
Am I a biker? Well, do I ride? Yes. Do I try to fit any labels? No. Do I respect those who have earned it? Yes. Will I ever ride past a downed rider without helping? Nope. I'm not sure if I'm a biker or not but I ride the hell out of it.
You`re the kind of biker I`d want to meet.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:16 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Who gives a crap?!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^ It's better to give than receive ^^^^

Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwhisen
If you don't perform surgery on your own ingrown toe nails you're not a biker.

Never had to do that, but I've used a drill press to drill through my fingernail & let the blood escape after smashing it. A buddy told me that if I didn't, I'd lose the nail. Stupid buddy! I ended up losing it anyway.

So the lack of pocketknife surgury and the fact that I don't have a beard means I don't qualify for the label.

This topic has come up before. "Biker" tends to describe someone who embraces the HD lifestyle more than those who are "just" bike enthusiests.

There are Goldwingers and BMW adventure riders who log more miles & more extreme conditions than nearly every other person on a bike, yet they really wouldn't be called "bikers".

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?