The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What, you want to live forever or something...LOL...put me down as a yes BUT...I'm going to ride until I can't hold the bike up...something is going to get you...Like The Doors said..."Nobody gets out of here alive..."...LOL. Ride safe but never give up is my moto. Heres a good one/true...A guy I know who rides and is a responsible rider in his 70s, had his grown kids sit him down to inform him that his riding days were over due to his age...they had decided for his safety...he smiled, walked out the door and went on a 3 state bike trip...it never came up again...LOL. Ride on safely.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh, screw you, ya adolescent, immature, juvenile, wet behind the ears kid, ya!!
And get off my lawn or I'll call the cops!!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

My insurance company must have read that study. Apparently they have taken it to the government to prove that older riders are a higher risk and the fat assed bureaucrats bought into it. Now because I am over 50 my insurance has gone up over twice as high as it should be. what a crock of BS!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Chief Davis57
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The researchers speculated that it was very likely that a number of factors played a role in older riders’ higher injury rates. For one, declines in vision and reaction time may make older riders more prone to mistakes that end up in collisions. Another theory is that older riders tend to ride bigger bikes, “which may be more likely to roll or turn over,” Ms. Jackson said."

Aside from the obvious I think such speculation of who rides bigger bikes is not only irrelevant but unsupported, and how would she know if bigger bikes are more likely to roll or turn over? Does she base that theory on a study of mass versus momentum? I'm not trying to disparage anyone, even people that write this research study stuff. I just think throwing in theories without basis or experience is questionable. All studies are questionable and many are naturally biased. If you want to know how well big bikes roll you should be asking those that had the unfortunate experience of doing it. I always thought the bigger the machine the slower it was going to move compared to a smaller bike during a wreck. Thank God I've never had to test that theory. The article is food for academic discussion best accompanied with beer. If only I had one right now...

Last edited by Chief Davis57; 02-11-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
BOJACK
6th Gear

We older riders have lived our lives full of risks along the way and are still here to tell about it.We are aware of our shortcomings more so than when we were young and yet we choose to LIVE and not simply SURVIVE.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
jackets
Cruiser

Seems to me the only valid hypothesis to make out of this is that older bones break easier than younger bones. The OP wrote that the data compiled was from cases that required emergency medical care. Not crashes in general.

Thank God I'm not a researcher, but I think a more revealing project would be to add total crashes by age bracket and then do some kind of medical cost analysis per incident by age bracket.
When I was a lot younger, I couldn't accept the fact that my grandmother broke her hip and suufered a shattered arm when she simply fell down in the kitchen. I understand now!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm amused at the tone of this thread. If someone posts a news report of an older cage driver causing a motorcycle accident the cage driver is vilified, hanged, drawn, quartered and a hue and cry arises to ban older drivers, make them take a yearly test or otherwise get off the road. Apparently, according to the thoughts expressed in this thread, age limitations espoused for cage drivers should not apply to older bike riders. Face it dudes and dudettes, if you're old, you're old whether you're on a bike or in a cage. I'm 75 and while I don't question my driving or riding ability I do think about the injury probability in event of an accident. Face it, the accident a 20 year old would walk away from would probably put me in an ICU or pine box.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,045 Likes on 17,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
I'm amused at the tone of this thread. If someone posts a news report of an older cage driver causing a motorcycle accident the cage driver is vilified, hanged, drawn, quartered and a hue and cry arises to ban older drivers, make them take a yearly test or otherwise get off the road. Apparently, according to the thoughts expressed in this thread, age limitations espoused for cage drivers should not apply to older bike riders. Face it dudes and dudettes, if you're old, you're old whether you're on a bike or in a cage. I'm 75 and while I don't question my driving or riding ability I do think about the injury probability in event of an accident. Face it, the accident a 20 year old would walk away from would probably put me in an ICU or pine box.
No kidding I look back on some of the stuff I more or less walked away from just manning up in my 20's , today I see big money , lots of pain and extended hospital stays at the minimuin . See a new bruise it's like where the hell did that one come from ?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all, in all probability, quite correct.

...and I don't care. I took 25 years off riding to raise a kid, he's raised and on his own and the only thing that'll stop me again is the reaper.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I might as well sell my bikes, and crawl into a hole and die!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-26-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?