The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first "Get the hell off my bike" incident.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013 | 12:33 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by tew3006
"Nobody who serves their country should be accused of being anything but selfless."

Every hear of Lee Harvey Oswald?
A former U.S. Marine who defected to the Soviet Union and told them he was a communist.
Lee Harvey Oswald did not honorably serve his country. He did not receive an honorable discharge.

And John Dillinger was in the navy briefly. Blah blah, you know what I meant.
Another dirtbag who did not serve honorably, he was a deserter.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2013 | 12:48 PM
Jdmuscle
Advanced

People just don't have any sense of respect for other's property. A few summers ago, I had my Z06 fully polished up and show ready... The night before I had taken it to a local meeting spot to hang with the guys. Long story short I came out of the coffee shop and I see a stupid ignorant SOB had a full on conversion with his friend leaning on the rear of my Vette with his coffee on my hatch lid.

I went up to him and asked if he liked my 70k park bench... He looked at me like I had 10 heads... And told him to take his coffee and leave before I flip something. Given the fact that he was apologetic, why would someone do that at first place is my question.

To the OP, like someone else stated, you should've schooled the father on do's and dont's with a man's bike / car. This way he'll buy his own bike to let his kid sit on.

Old 07-14-2013 | 10:30 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by im
Some individuals are unaware of what the custom, etiquette or manners are with certain stuff.
I have found individuals both adults and children touching and sitting on my bike before.
When this has happened I have approached them politely when possible and offered to show the bike. I have even offered to take a picture of them with their spouse or child with their camera. I snap a few pictures and then i politely educated them regarding riding customs and being careful because sometimes other riders might get upset if they do not ask first or might even respond in a hostile manner. Then i hand them their camera back and tell them to have a nice day.
They have all seemed rather apologetic but at the same time thankful and departed on good terms. When not close enough to the bike i just say "careful you might get burned the motor is really really hot".
I figure most people will remember the experience and pass the information forward or at least remember that not all motorcyclist are pirates when showing their pictures to friends.
They sell a sun shade that attaches to the handlebars and covers the tank and seat if this is a constant problem for some. Even placement of just about anything on the seat will keep most people off. For overnight parking i suggest a light cover at minimum when at motels/hotels.
Well said, polite and realistic. Cooler heads prevail.

Old 07-14-2013 | 10:41 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
They sell a sun shade that attaches to the handlebars and covers the tank and seat if this is a constant problem for some. Even placement of just about anything on the seat will keep most people off. For overnight parking i suggest a light cover at minimum when at motels/hotels.

Who sells this sunshade you speak of? I need something so I don't keep burning my butt when I get on the bike after it's been parked in the sun. Today after 10 minutes it was a real cheek burner.

Old 07-14-2013 | 10:58 PM
Turbospirites
Cruiser

the only ones that sat on my bike without permission is my mom RIP and my friend Melissa I thought it's totally unfair if my friend sat on my bike she has to sit on my face also.

Old 07-14-2013 | 11:25 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

i was at my grandmothers house one day for family dinner. had my cbr1000 crotch rocket parked on the sidewalk out front(really nowhere else to park). i looked out the front door, there was 6 kids lined up on my bike from the gas tank to the tail light, while there mom/sister? was taking pictures.. like it was a ghetto photo shoot or something.

Old 07-15-2013 | 07:57 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Who sells this sunshade you speak of? I need something so I don't keep burning my butt when I get on the bike after it's been parked in the sun. Today after 10 minutes it was a real cheek burner.
I do not own but have seen several being used.
More of a keep people off and seat cooler type of shade.
It looked really simple, rectangle of fabric and an elastic loop at each corner.
The front loops attached to handlebar grips while the rear attached to turn signals or license plate.
something like this:
http://www.shop.cycleshade.com/produ...9&categoryId=1

Old 07-15-2013 | 08:28 AM
BigCheeseStick
Intermediate

My experiences with it so far have been when I came out of a Kmart one time and found a guy having his teenage kids climb into the back of my pickup, get on my four wheeler and bounce around to "try it out because he might get them one one day." O.O

THAT, and when a fat little 8 year old knocked over one of my motorcycles in a public parking lot when he was playing UNATTENDED and decided he wanted to go for a ride.

How can we write up a law legalizing on the spot killing of these IDIOTS?!?!

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:05 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
I do not own but have seen several being used.
More of a keep people off and seat cooler type of shade.
It looked really simple, rectangle of fabric and an elastic loop at each corner.
The front loops attached to handlebar grips while the rear attached to turn signals or license plate.
something like this:
http://www.shop.cycleshade.com/produ...9&categoryId=1
That's a great ideal, that would keep people off your bike. Unless of course they would be stupid enough to un-hook it. Too bad there isn't some kind of trespass law for people that sit on our bikes.

Last edited by Curt1953; 07-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2013 | 10:35 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

I commute into the city, and park on a metered spot on the street. More than one, usually during my lunch hour, I have come out to find some dweeb either on my ride or about to get on it.

Surprisingly, it's not to local riff-raff (I work near one of the largest homeless shelters in DC and near the DC courthouse and probation offices). It's usually the tourists.

Quick Reply: My first "Get the hell off my bike" incident.