The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first "Get the hell off my bike" incident.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013 | 10:51 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer

At a car show I had this lady lean against my Camaro with jeans on and I lost my ****. I yelled across the parking lot "What the **** are you doing" LOL

Old 06-29-2013 | 10:56 AM
motohaid
Road Master

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
I think I'd run out and pull my pistol and start shouting "STOP THIEF". Put the person on the ground and call the cops.
Now you have the RIGHT answer!!!! You win. I can't beat that.

Old 06-29-2013 | 11:45 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Some individuals are unaware of what the custom, etiquette or manners are with certain stuff.
I have found individuals both adults and children touching and sitting on my bike before.
When this has happened I have approached them politely when possible and offered to show the bike. I have even offered to take a picture of them with their spouse or child with their camera. I snap a few pictures and then i politely educated them regarding riding customs and being careful because sometimes other riders might get upset if they do not ask first or might even respond in a hostile manner. Then i hand them their camera back and tell them to have a nice day.
They have all seemed rather apologetic but at the same time thankful and departed on good terms. When not close enough to the bike i just say "careful you might get burned the motor is really really hot".
I figure most people will remember the experience and pass the information forward or at least remember that not all motorcyclist are pirates when showing their pictures to friends.
They sell a sun shade that attaches to the handlebars and covers the tank and seat if this is a constant problem for some. Even placement of just about anything on the seat will keep most people off. For overnight parking i suggest a light cover at minimum when at motels/hotels.

Old 06-29-2013 | 11:57 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

These type posts always bring out the internet tough guy posts, "If I were there I would have blah blah...."

It`s just a machine, if someone is trying to sit on it, politely tell them to leave it alone. No reason for start a confrontation, you never know who you may be dealing with.

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:12 PM
bkbennett
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by im
I have found individuals both adults and children touching and sitting on my bike before.
When this has happened I have approached them politely when possible and offered to show the bike.

Good approach. It's not the first to come to my mind but it will probably earn bikers a better reputation.

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:32 PM
Tutorman883
Cruiser

Originally Posted by im
Some individuals are unaware of what the custom, etiquette or manners are with certain stuff.
When this has happened I have approached them politely when possible and offered to show the bike. I have even offered to take a picture of them with their spouse or child with their camera. I snap a few pictures and then i politely educated them regarding riding customs and being careful because sometimes other riders might get upset if they do not ask first or might even respond in a hostile manner. Then i hand them their camera back and tell them to have a nice day.
They have all seemed rather apologetic but at the same time thankful and departed on good terms.
I would like to think I would respond the way IM responded.
But I really like the "Wave pistol screaming" "GET ON THE GROUND" response.
I guy at work sat on my brand new 883 2 weeks ago but I didn't see it another worker told me. I was a little miffed. But I know the guy is a friend and an experienced rider (that's no excuse for touching my stuff). I just wish he would have told me or asked first , I would have of course let him. I have yet to sit on or ask to sit on my soninlaws new roadking.
He's just to picky about such things.
Last week at a small Car show my wife touched a 65 Mustang convertible. I calmly but firmly said "MARY DON'T TOUCH" Her response was "Oh I'm sorry"
OK next time I'll have to pull out my pistol and scream "GET ON THE GROUND"

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:52 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master

I always wondered about the lack of laws against this. After all they are violating private property.
Is anyone aware of any? I have zero hope for "Protect The Criminals" California, but others states?

Old 06-29-2013 | 02:11 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

I always wondered about the lack of laws against this. After all they are violating private property.
Yeah, just what we need, more stupid laws.

But I really like the "Wave pistol screaming" "GET ON THE GROUND" response.
What if a Police officer sees a Dirty Harry wannabee pull a pistol just because someone sat on his precious motorcycle?

The offense is sitting on a motorcycle, not attempted murder...

The bike is parked in a public place, people will touch it and sit on it. They will hit it with car doors and shopping carts...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-29-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2013 | 02:21 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Yeah, just what we need, more stupid laws.
What if a Police officer sees a Dirty Harry wannabee pull a pistol just because someone sat on his precious motorcycle?

The offense is sitting on a motorcycle, not attempted murder...

The bike is parked in a public place, people will touch it and sit on it. They will hit it with car doors and shopping carts...
You seem to have a rather lose, almost communist, view of the term "private property".

Old 06-29-2013 | 03:31 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
You seem to have a rather lose, almost communist, view of the term "private property".
I think that may be the most bizarre post I have ever read.

I have an honorable discharge from the US Navy (1974-1979) on my wall, and I have worked in the defense industry for the past 31 years, so I`m pretty sure I`m not a Communist.

But I do have a dislike for stupid laws.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-29-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: My first "Get the hell off my bike" incident.