The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first "Get the hell off my bike" incident.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013 | 12:21 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

There is a young man in Atlanta somewhere that learned the hard way that motorcycle exhausts are HOT. I got off my Metric and was looking over my shoulder as I walked away when a 5 year old ran up and grabbed ahold of the exhaust pipe under the rear footpeg as if to climb up onto the seat. He screamed, his mom screamed, I kept walking. This was in the late 70s.

Old 08-27-2013 | 05:56 PM
taygull
Tourer

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
I kept walking. This was in the late 70s.
Guess that makes you cool! A 5 year old may not be quite old enough to know better...

Old 08-27-2013 | 06:40 PM
bigsammy1
Intermediate

This has happened to me a few times. I have built and owned show cars and bikes for more then 30 years and have done car and bike shows for that time. I never stray to far from my bikes because some ahole is going to want to sit on my bike and take a picture and think he's sly and got away with it. I almost went to blows with a guy when he tried to jump on my bike at a show and ended up knocking over 2 other bikes! Sometimes when people ask...depending how pretty she is...I might let them. Had one guy ask at a show if he could sit on my bike...I said sure....just as soon as I can make time to eff his wife!! He walked away....

Old 08-28-2013 | 01:27 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member

I like to think I would be somewhat polite and respectful when asking the kid or person to please be careful that they don't get burned, or tip my bike over, and here, let me help you get off. I haven't been in a physical fight for more than 30 years, which also happens to be the last time I drank Jack Daniels, if you get my drift and the connection (another story for another time)! And at 63 I'm too old to be getting in fights, and certainly too old to be losing fights, over something that can be handled in a civil way while still getting my point across...my opinion, and one that is probably different now than the opinion I would have had those 30+ years ago.

But I also was younger once, had my share of "engagements," some won, and to be honest more lost, and understand the anger that an event like this could engender and the nearly uncontrollable urge to do something physical to remedy the unplesantry. Just gotta be careful who you are trying to "educate" as they might be more capable of educating you...different times today than they were 30 years ago.

Old 09-02-2013 | 04:15 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

Old 09-04-2013 | 02:11 PM
LynnSG
Road Captain

I came out of a steakhouse in Lexington one evening and a couple of ladies were taking turns sitting on my bike taking pictures. I dont guess the flashing lights were a hint that maybe they shouldnt be doing that. That or the fact that they were fairly intoxicated. No harm meant and they were good looking so WTH? Be a different story if it were some douche like some of the ones described on the previous posts.