The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retarded dealer employees.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,845 Likes on 2,298 Posts
Default Retarded dealer employees.

Went to a dealer in my area--Southeast Harley in Ohio. They had a blood drive event. I was walking around and noticed a layback curved license plate holder on a Super Glide Custom. It really caught my eye. Very simple but flowed with the lines of the fender and there was no flashy frame.

I had looked for something like this before but know that Harley does not cary such a plate for my Super Glide. it also was obviously an aftermarket part, just based on the style. I asked the sales guys walking around if they knew who made the holder. I asked what the brand was. The guy looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Harley" I asked if they knew if the part number was on it. They told me to go talk to the parts dept.

The parts guy was all irriated and stuff because I asked if he would come back and look at the plate on the bike. He said he was busy and started looking at the manuals to try to see what plate holder would fit my bike. He said they didn't sell any layback plate holder for my bike. He said it would also be illegal because the plate would have to be mounted below the tail light? wtf? I asked another parts guy about it and he too started rummaging aroud the catalogue.I told him a layback curved plate is on the SuperGlide on the floor. He said, "It must be another model. You must be confusing it with a softtail perhaps." I said again it was on the bike on the floor and it is the bike I have. Would he just take a second to look and see so I could get a brand and ID perhaps? He also said he was too busy and then said, "The other rep already told you, nobody out there makes a layback curved plate holder that will fit a superglide, period." He then shook his head and walked away. I was just thinking wtf? Its on the bike.

Anyways, it took me a while to find it online but ID'd it as J&P cycle holder. This is what was on the bike. It is very low-profile and wraps the fender nicely. It is also only $26. Beats the crap out of the ungainly $80 holders Harley tries to sell.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tolerance for people working in Harley dealerships is almost nonexistent anymore. It's like no one enjoys their job. Fortunately I have about 8 dealerships within 80 miles of me so if one pisses me off I go somewhere else.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

Let me get this straight: You see a plate holder on a bike and you ask a salesman who makes it knowing Harley does not make one for your bike. Right? Mistake #1, He's a salesman he will tell you anything to get you to buy the bike. Mistake #2, Then you go to the parts counter and ask the parts guy the same question knowing Harley does not make one for your bike. Mistake #3 then you ask a second parts guy the same question. Knowing Harley does not make one for your bike.
Is that pretty much it? Or am I missing something here?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was gonna be a feel good story about a mentally handicapped employee at the local HD dealer.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Thats NOTHING! I heard about a retarded customer that went into a dealership and expected a Harley parts guy to be able identify the manufacturer of every after market license plate holder that would fit his bike and he also thought a salesman could pull the part number out of his azz for a part he saw that he liked.

Dude, they sell Harleys and Harley don't make what you want. They told you that. They shouldn't be expected to be able to identify every aftermarket part produced by every manufacturer. I'd hate to think what you would have to say if it had been a custom built 1 off part.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Customer service now a days is crap. Its not just HD it is everyone. They want you to spend big money and then leave. Even if they did not know where it came from they could of at least looked at it. If they were busy they simply could of asked you to hang on for a few. Crap in my opinion, but on the plus side, it is your cash and you can spend it elsewhere!

Last edited by Rooster37; 02-10-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

The bike that was on the show room floor, was it new or a used bike?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster37
Customer service now a days is crap. Its not just HD it is everyone. They want you to spend big money and then leave. Even if they did not know where it came from they could of at least looked at it. If they were busy they simply could of asked you to hang on for a few. Crap in my opinion, but on the plus side, it is your cash and you can spend it elsewhere!
That's just the way it is. It's a "Ask me no questions, buy your **** and get the f*** out of my face" type mentality. It wasn't that long ago that if a salesman saw you coming they practically got on their knees and nursed on your **** to make a sale. Those days are long gone. That's why we were given the internet!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM
buellconvert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikenut1957
Let me get this straight: You see a plate holder on a bike and you ask a salesman who makes it knowing Harley does not make one for your bike. Right? Mistake #1, He's a salesman he will tell you anything to get you to buy the bike. Mistake #2, Then you go to the parts counter and ask the parts guy the same question knowing Harley does not make one for your bike. Mistake #3 then you ask a second parts guy the same question. Knowing Harley does not make one for your bike.
Is that pretty much it? Or am I missing something here?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Helpful parts agents and salesmen will get you more sales .

Quick Reply: Retarded dealer employees.