The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Nellie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Doin good. Having bike withdrawels though. How are you doing. Been busi I take it.
Me too!! and yes been busy....work and grandbabies!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Where you been gurl??????.....We been wondering what happen to ya. Good to see you back in here.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Nellie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Where you been gurl??????.....We been wondering what happen to ya. Good to see you back in here.
hey doc! time flies when your havin fun....lol. who am I kidding, I just work too much anymore lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Things still busy in the drill yard I guess.....Hows that fish kid doing??

Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Had a KR sightin at The King this morning......Gotta wonder about sumone who drives 50 miles for a 25 cent coffee!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
If you would have had a Rebel we might have had to talk. Of course, the last thing I need around is another toy, even if it would be for the wife. She is not 100% sure she wants to move from the back seat, though!
Originally Posted by EveHD
If and when I meet her I'll let her sit on my sporty. Maybe that would help her decide. Do you know what her preference is for seat height?
Originally Posted by EveHD
OK let me know. The sporty is not all that heavy. The only problem I see with the sporty as opposed to most bikes, including the Rebel, is that it does not have a low center of gravity. Either way, she can rule it out if nothing else. But like Kristy said, get her on her own. She'll love it.
Rebel's a nice starter, only problem with it is not much of a highway bike and doesn't take long till that desire to keep up with everyone else kicks in. My daughter says this year she's really going to do it, and I'd like to find a Honda Ascot VT500 for her - that's the V twin, as opposed to the FT500, which is either a single or inline twin, not sure which. It'd probably do ok, too, but the V twin looks like a baby sportster, and is supposed to be a terrific handling bike; also could at least keep up with an 883, probably even a little faster. I'd bet sportsters have put more women off motorcycles than any other make. Seems to be the "starter" of choice in the Harley community, but it's a heavy weight even if lighter than a touring bike, bit top heavy, and worst of all, that tall gearing/light crank makes it kind of evil in first & second gear at lower rpms, takes clutch work in slow traffic or tight situations, and that takes practice, can't just back off the throttle and then roll it back on without bucking a little. 1200's aren't quite as bad, even with their taller gearing. I know a lot of folks have started on a sporty, but for the average person, it's a bit much. I just talked to a young lady last week that got a 1200 for her first bike last year, said she hasn't had it over 50; likes it, but it obviously intimidates her. I bet the only reason she's sticking with it is because her Mom has one and she's gotta do what Mom can. I've talked to a few ladies that just needed an easier handling bike to feel comfortable until they got proficient, and then they loved it. Sometimes that's a bigger Harley, too; they're more docile and you don't feel the weight as much, depending on the model. Doesn't help that now most folks in the first bike age group have never driven a manual transmission on anything.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Too late. The baby boomers spent it all!
Way we're dying off so early, most of us probably aren't going to get much. But yeah, a lot of the politicians that robbed the funds so they couldn't grow were/are boomers. Don't matter to them, couple years in office and they'll get theirs even if s.s. folds. Unless I succeed in becoming grand poobah dictator...

Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nellie
Me too!! and yes been busy....work and grandbabies!
Grandbabies are fun... when they can go to the toilet by themselves. That sure took a lot of the unpleasantness out of it. Gonna try to make a mechanic out of him this summer, sure got enough of that stuff to do. Got in a little practice last year.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Rebel's a nice starter, only problem with it is not much of a highway bike and doesn't take long till that desire to keep up with everyone else kicks in. My daughter says this year she's really going to do it, and I'd like to find a Honda Ascot VT500 for her - that's the V twin, as opposed to the FT500, which is either a single or inline twin, not sure which. It'd probably do ok, too, but the V twin looks like a baby sportster, and is supposed to be a terrific handling bike; also could at least keep up with an 883, probably even a little faster. I'd bet sportsters have put more women off motorcycles than any other make. Seems to be the "starter" of choice in the Harley community, but it's a heavy weight even if lighter than a touring bike, bit top heavy, and worst of all, that tall gearing/light crank makes it kind of evil in first & second gear at lower rpms, takes clutch work in slow traffic or tight situations, and that takes practice, can't just back off the throttle and then roll it back on without bucking a little. 1200's aren't quite as bad, even with their taller gearing. I know a lot of folks have started on a sporty, but for the average person, it's a bit much. I just talked to a young lady last week that got a 1200 for her first bike last year, said she hasn't had it over 50; likes it, but it obviously intimidates her. I bet the only reason she's sticking with it is because her Mom has one and she's gotta do what Mom can. I've talked to a few ladies that just needed an easier handling bike to feel comfortable until they got proficient, and then they loved it. Sometimes that's a bigger Harley, too; they're more docile and you don't feel the weight as much, depending on the model. Doesn't help that now most folks in the first bike age group have never driven a manual transmission on anything.
You hit the nail on the head here. I went from the honda cb750f so the transition to the sportster was a bit easier for me then most. I'm not a light weight either and like the fact that she needs a bit of manhandling. I learned to drive a manual car with no power steering so I can be a bit rough handed on the dainty stuff they make now a days...

Quick Reply: Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part IV