The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sky King

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
It ran from 1951 to 1962.
That puts me at 9 during the final season.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SkyKing was before my time but I do remember watching The Rat Patrol and Combat! with my hero Vic Morrow! Man that guy could kill ****'s with that Thompson.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
That puts me at 9 during the final season.
You've only got 1 year on me!
Originally Posted by patrickd
SkyKing was before my time but I do remember watching The Rat Patrol and Combat! with my hero Vic Morrow! Man that guy could kill ****'s with that Thompson.
KIDS!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

That was a great time to be a kid!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Netflix has a bunch of the old shows. Just watched a Roy Rogers last week (seems poorly acted, poorly filmed, and almost simple minded today).

Sky King - 1 disk, 4 eps ..... watched the first disk, like Roy Rogers with an airplane.
Whirlybirds - Netflix doesn't have. That Bell 47 soundtrack still gets used occasionally for turbine helicopter soundtracks; until Air Wolf, just about all helicopters in movies and tv had that sound; drove me nuts, I know the difference, been in lots of them.
Roy Rogers - several movies, some tv shows, and 4 episodes on streaming
Rat Patrol - 2 seasons on dvd
Combat - 5 seasons on dvd; my Dad liked it, said this was the only realistic WWII show he'd seen, we watched it regularly. Wish he'd lived to see Band of Brothers, not just for the realism, but also because his unit just south of them did at least one of the things in the movie, and I suspect the author heard of that.
Captain Midnight - chapters 1-15, whatever that means, on dvd. 1942; maybe that's why I never saw it, ain't quite that old.
Cisco Kid - just mentioning this because it was the first tv show filmed in color, 1950 (producer said there'd be color someday), 80 shows on disk, 20 streaming - very poor video quality unfortunately, most black & whites have way better resolution.
The black & white I remember liking the best was Sea Hunt, with Lloyd Bridges. Not on Netflix yet, darn it.

These old shows are kind of neat to watch once in a while, but I have to admit they seem amateurish compared to today's productions (not saying that makes them good). I seldom watched many shows till I retired, so I have a lot of catching up to do - although there aren't many I consider more than a waste of time.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Netflix has a bunch of the old shows. Just watched a Roy Rogers last week (seems poorly acted, poorly filmed, and almost simple minded today).

Sky King - 1 disk, 4 eps ..... watched the first disk, like Roy Rogers with an airplane.
Whirlybirds - Netflix doesn't have. That Bell 47 soundtrack still gets used occasionally for turbine helicopter soundtracks; until Air Wolf, just about all helicopters in movies and tv had that sound; drove me nuts, I know the difference, been in lots of them.
Roy Rogers - several movies, some tv shows, and 4 episodes on streaming
Rat Patrol - 2 seasons on dvd
Combat - 5 seasons on dvd; my Dad liked it, said this was the only realistic WWII show he'd seen, we watched it regularly. Wish he'd lived to see Band of Brothers, not just for the realism, but also because his unit just south of them did at least one of the things in the movie, and I suspect the author heard of that.
Captain Midnight - chapters 1-15, whatever that means, on dvd. 1942; maybe that's why I never saw it, ain't quite that old.
Cisco Kid - just mentioning this because it was the first tv show filmed in color, 1950 (producer said there'd be color someday), 80 shows on disk, 20 streaming - very poor video quality unfortunately, most black & whites have way better resolution.
The black & white I remember liking the best was Sea Hunt, with Lloyd Bridges. Not on Netflix yet, darn it.

These old shows are kind of neat to watch once in a while, but I have to admit they seem amateurish compared to today's productions (not saying that makes them good). I seldom watched many shows till I retired, so I have a lot of catching up to do - although there aren't many I consider more than a waste of time.
Those were some great shows when you were a kid. The fact that they seem hokey now just means we're getting cynical.And who wouldn't,in this phuked up world?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Youtube

Lots of these shows are available to watch FREE on Youtube. I don't like to think of them as hokey or simple minded, but prefer to think of them as non offensive. The world today could use some of "the good guy wears the white hat" and being nice counts stuff!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That was a while ago remember them both SkyKing and Whirlybirds,never have been a big TV watcher always liked being outside.Grew up on a farm,summer camps nearby,close to public and private beaches,and into cars and motorcycles from a very young age.Bought my first Harley at 14 had my first car given to me next year.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
saltydog1911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched all that old stuff. Cisco Kid, Roy , Rat Patrol. But what I remember most is how bad I had it for Penny. I thought she was the best thing since sliced bread. Ummmm good....

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
You've only got 1 year on me!

KIDS!
Well actually I was around for the last two years of Skyking but I was busy doing other things. Not even sure if we had a TV.

Quick Reply: Sky King