The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old or how much exerience do you need to get respect from miserable old bikers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:09 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Newbies act like newbies.The day you stop worrying about what others think of you,what you ride,how fast you can go or not,and finally when you stop trying to impress everyone how much of a biker you have become will be when you start gaining the respect you are looking for.
It is very easy to pick newbies out of a crowd no matter how hard they try to hide it.

Old 11-05-2012 | 02:32 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain

"Respect" is a loaded, weasel word. There is good reason that 21 pages have been committed to defining and discussing it.

Respect can mean "consideration". Everyone should be extended consideration unless they have proven to be "inconsiderate". I am considerate in my interaction with others without knowing who they are or what they have accomplished.

Most men seem to solely define respect as deserving "admiration" and "approval". The OP is wondering when he is going to evoke admiration and approval from some mythical "biker" types. That's a pretty tall order to garner someone's admiration or approval. You can have admiration for someone's skills or abilities without having admiration for the person. I must admit, I have no admiration for this mythical biker who seems to be an anti-social, borderline criminal, but I might admire his riding and wrenching skills nevertheless.

Many men do get wound up with a need for belonging and a need to know where they stand in the pecking order. I contend if you're groveling for some stranger's approval or admiration, you have some serious problems with your own self-esteem. Be your own man and just ride and if you have to ride alone, that ain't all that bad.

Last edited by Nirvana; 11-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2012 | 03:26 PM
bullmoose
1st Gear

I'm new on here, but I've already noticed, it seems only the hardest of badasses care enough to give a flying F*#k about what other people do. Being “Old School” must mean you like to complain via an internet forum. Dont tell anybody you just started riding, a harcore biker may type out what a Puss you are

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:03 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bullmoose
I'm new on here, but I've already noticed, it seems only the hardest of badasses care enough to give a flying F*#k about what other people do. Being “Old School” must mean you like to complain via an internet forum. Dont tell anybody you just started riding, a harcore biker may type out what a Puss you are
You need to git your post count up.
And I went from Old SChool to new school on fuel injected bikes

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:37 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Challenger
Rode the Jack frost rally this past weekend in Green Bay. Just under an hour ride for the three of us just to get to the dealership in Green Bay with temps in the mid 30's and spitting snow.

We get to the dealership and I jump off and start bitching cause my fingers hurt so bad from the cold, I am dressed in the best leather money can buy (chaps, jacket, gloves) but still was cold as hell!

Then this old chopped beat to hell carbed 883 with straight pipes pulls in. No windshield, no fairing, no heated grips with a mid 20's hot as hell chick riding it! She just had a leather coat and jeans. Instant respect!

yeah I bet ---------but it was just because her nipples were hard and looked like someone had hid 2 1 quart funnels under her coat

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:44 PM
arjr
Cruiser

I consider myself a miserable old HD rider. Personally, I respect anyone that shows me respect, but I never did care much what anyone else thought, and don't think you or anyone else should care whether someone else likes you.

Old 11-05-2012 | 06:05 PM
Original Rumrunner
Novice

Already said- who cares? I started riding 50 years ago, this year.Only been on here since June. Newbie, oldy or ?. Again, respect is something you have to have, in order to get-Robin Williams

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:06 PM
logdon17
Tourer

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Gunther/Documents/deadhorse.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:08 PM
Jack-C
Cruiser

Old and misery are synonymous... don't take it personal.

Old 11-06-2012 | 12:48 PM
justplainjim
Intermediate
Question

My question is How old do you have to be to be considered a "miserable old bastard" ??

Quick Reply: How old or how much exerience do you need to get respect from miserable old bikers