The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old or how much exerience do you need to get respect from miserable old bikers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:19 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

You're a newby clown when the day after buying your brand new ride for the first time, you are suddenly smarter and wiser than everybody else on the forum.

Some people have forgotten to 'Listen and Learn' a little bit first. That's how old you have to be.

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:21 PM
KingOfTheRoadFXDC
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Ditto. If you're a douche, age, riding time, & experience isn't going to change that.

That being said, WHO CARES? Ride because you like to ride and f*ck what anyone else thinks.

agreed maybe this thread shoulda been called those douchebags

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:21 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

If you think THIS is bad, go hang around the Street Rod crowd! You gott be 60+ to not be a kid around them. They think they invented cool. Apparently younger guys aren't supposed to have 32 fords, etc.

I get both bad and good attitudes. Once they observe that you don't give a **** about their acceptance, they seem to lighten up a bit. I'm 43 and a clean cut military guy, and they see that I actually put down ALOT of miles, which seems to matter I suppose. I don't want to hang out at the dealer or the bar all day....I want to ride. So stops are for a short rest, then go on.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 10-31-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2012 | 06:28 PM
MiniWolf

Well, it's just a forum. It is easy to rub people the wrong way. It will take just the slightest thing to set someone off. First of all, just because its a forum and most don't know each other. Anonymity creates tensions of its own because you never know who you are really dealing with. Just because someone says they are something does not mean it is true. People like to put on a certain face, especially on a forum like this. Acting rude, mean, and aggressive to people is just part of this face for some on a forum like this.

The real old timers deserve respect in the sense that they have the experience and wisdom gained from years of exposure and riding. They have mine just because as I get more into the activity, I realize the investment in time and personal resources involved for someone to have gained the experience.

But to be honest, after meeeting some people here and talking to some folks in private, I have found the 'real' old timers and real 'bikers' here do not show you disrespect if you don't try or pretend to be something you are not. They are the ones usually who will offer genuine advice without all the BS. I have found the same to be true in person.

I have found that the people who are the most rude and willing to bash you, whether in person or online, are not the experienced old timers. They are newbies like ourselves, but they are playing dress up and make believe.

So, just be yourself. If that isn't good enough for someone or they show you no respect, why would you want their respect or want them as your peers? You just avoid these individuals.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 10-31-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2012 | 06:29 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Stiggy's on to part of it.

A lot of times the old geezers are just talking smack to see what it takes to get a rise out of newbies. The thicker the skin the quicker they let up--no enjoyment out of teasing a guy when he doesn't respond.

Don't spend any time wondering what folks around here think of you. The odds of them having any real effect on your life is slim and none. They can only **** you off as much as you let them.

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:32 PM
KingOfTheRoadFXDC
|
Advanced

Im not asking for respect at all cuz personally i dont see anyone on the road that i know from here so i dont care i just wanted to see what people think of people who come here and do nothing but jump on people they consider pussies and newbies must be their way of acting tough after being yelled at by their wife

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:34 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

you gain the respect and experience at the same time basically--------------its when your leathers don't squeak and lose their shine for one------------------the second is when you go to the bar in your pirate attire and don't have to hassle the smallest most feminine guy in the bar to feel superior

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:36 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by KingOfTheRoadFXDC
Im not asking for respect at all cuz personally i dont see anyone on the road that i know from here so i dont care i just wanted to see what people think of people who come here and do nothing but jump on people they consider pussies and newbies must be their way of acting tough after being yelled at by their wife
Also, don't confuse age with expeprience. I have seen it myself in person since getting my bike. Some 50-60 year old guy buys a bike, buys all the clothes, then he is bashing all the younger guys who just bought bikes and he is calling himself an old timer. Just because someone is older and has a bike and talks the part does not make it so.

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:42 PM
08sglide4me
Intermediate

I think you will not be a newb after you learn that its not "I could care less" since that means you actually could care less than what you think you can but the correct term is " I couldn't care less" which means what it says.

Old 10-31-2012 | 06:52 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
LOL, since you popped off and whined about this, the Crusty-Curmudgeons have voted to add 13 years to the time before you quit being a newb-puss...
Yeah, to the OP, just relax, Poindexter. If you don't act like a dweeb you won't be treated like one. That is, of course, except by Dickey and Bren, the Curmudgeons-in-Chief.

Quick Reply: How old or how much exerience do you need to get respect from miserable old bikers