The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding my pink softail in costume for muscular dystrophy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

The ride was postponed due to rain last Sunday - it will be rain or shine this Sunday, October 21. I have 4 days left to raise funds to help kids with muscular dystrophy go to summer camp.

No donations from this forum yet

Even a small tax-deductible donation would be appreciated by the kids. The link below takes you directly to my muscular dystrophy page put together by the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Donations are made securely and go directly to MDA.

I promise I won't post any more about this until after the ride, but I would like to raise as much as I can for them this week.

Thanks everyone.

https://www.joinmda.org/MyEvent/MyHo...y/Default.aspx

Last edited by studiopeg; 10-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Peg... Please be careful riding out of Boston Harley. Great causes, but after a ride a few years ago, I swore I would never do another one from there.

It's in the city.... It's all city roads within 20miles of there.....

Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hspring03
Peg... Please be careful riding out of Boston Harley. Great causes, but after a ride a few years ago, I swore I would never do another one from there.

It's in the city.... It's all city roads within 20miles of there.....
Yeah I've heard some scary stories. I figure I'll do it this one time. If I get a bad feeling, I will forgo the ride when it starts at 1:00.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by studiopeg
No donations from this forum yet
This time of year there are 2-3 local rides each weekend ranging from $20-$30 each. Some of the people I know end up shelling out $200-$300 each ride counting expenses which can really take its toll this time of year.

One person I know also used to hit me up for the once a year chairty walk his wife forces him to do until I asked him to start contributing to all the motorcycle runs for charity I participate in. Another person I know who wanted contributions made in the name of his family of four online also asked me for charity donations.

However, when I checked there were no donations shown at all. It made me wonder why I should donate in his name when I could just donate direct. It may seem harsh, but personally, I would rather participate and donate both "locally" and "directly" if possible. Perferably not to a "foundation" or through some telemarketer type set-up which may take 90% in administration fees out of the total amount supposedly collected in the name of a charity. I voted against permitting a telemarketer to do this in my area though I was out voted. It appeared the non-profit felt it better to get 10% instead of 0%.

On the bright side, at least the chart linked to below shows that MDA's admin expenses do not run as high as some I've encountered even though the president of the MDA made $381,022.00 in 2010. Meanwhile, this area had one of highest unemployment rates in the nation along with home foreclosures.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4134

Here's one prime example: 94.7% in fundraising expenses. At least the admin expenses were low (no CEO salary).

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=10929

Last edited by TNB; 10-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Yabiah
Cruiser

I'm riding in Boston Harley's annual Halloween ride for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on October 14..
Have a safe ride, Peg and thanks!
Each year I donate blinged helmets (I have a helmet blinging business) to charities, but for this ride I am asking if people will sponsor me by making a small tax-deductible donation to my page for muscular dystrophy.
Do you have a link?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

You make good points. Boston Harley does this charity run for MDA every year. I never even thought to look at their administrative fees, but I'm glad to know they are not as high as some others.

BTW I LOVE that sig pic of yours, sweet!

Originally Posted by TNB
This time of year there are 2-3 local rides each weekend ranging from $20-$30 each. Some of the people I know end up shelling out $200-$300 each ride counting expenses which can really take its toll this time of year.

One person I know also used to hit me up for the once a year chairty walk his wife forces him to do until I asked him to start contributing to all the motorcycle runs for charity I participate in. Another person I know who wanted contributions made in the name of his family of four online also asked me for charity donations.

However, when I checked there were no donations shown at all. It made me wonder why I should donate in his name when I could just donate direct. It may seem harsh, but personally, I would rather participate and donate both "locally" and "directly" if possible. Perferably not to a "foundation" or through some telemarketer type set-up which may take 90% in administration fees out of the total amount supposedly collected in the name of a charity. I voted against permitting a telemarketer to do this in my area though I was out voted. It appeared the non-profit felt it better to get 10% instead of 0%.

On the bright side, at least the chart linked to below shows that MDA's admin expenses do not run as high as some I've encountered even though the president of the MDA made $381,022.00 in 2010. Meanwhile, this area had one of highest unemployment rates in the nation along with home foreclosures.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4134

Here's one prime example: 94.7% in fundraising expenses. At least the admin expenses were low (no CEO salary).

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=10929

Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yabiah
Have a safe ride, Peg and thanks!

Do you have a link?
https://www.joinmda.org/MyEvent/MyHo...y/Default.aspx

Thanks Yabiah

Last edited by studiopeg; 10-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Someone donated $100 tonight, and I don't know who it is, but THANK YOU! That was VERY generous. I think you just sent a MD kid to camp next summer

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Yabiah
Cruiser

You're welcome!
I was looking for a link to the "helmet blinging business".

Last edited by Yabiah; 10-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM
TNB
Road Master

You make good points. Boston Harley does this charity run for MDA every year. I never even thought to look at their administrative fees, but I'm glad to know they are not as high as some others.

BTW I LOVE that sig pic of yours, sweet!
Thanks. 3 different light kits on the bike. Photo by me.

Quick Reply: Riding my pink softail in costume for muscular dystrophy