The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley knot

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

As others have said if you go and trade your bikes in you'll get absolutely nothing. that guy did you a favor. A stock 75FLH in this are can get 10K if it is really nice. You won't get anywhere near that from a dealers not even a 1/3

You should count yourself lucky that they are like that.

Anyone telling you to trade those bikes in at a dealer just simply doesn't know WTF they are talking about.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by nilro
...and that right there my friends is the problem. No offense intended, Hoggy, but most folk who really want "an old shovel" or something like that don't have the spare change to grab one.

I'm not trying to defend a dealership here, but they are right. Those things are hard to unload.

I know where a shovel is sitting right now, starts on the first kick every time, perfect condition, the kind of bike that would make Twisted shed a tear, and the guy can't even unload it right now for $5500. No one that I am aware of has even made an offer. Lot's of tire kickers and "man I wish I had some extra money" guys, but no buyers.

Now, quick story for the OP. When I bought my bike new in 09, the dealer gave me a price quote over the phone, sight unseen for my trade, which was an 86 FXRP, and it was a fair price at that.

When I rolled up that morning to pick my new bike up, the salesman said, "Whew, I took a gamble on you that you described your bike right, and you did. I thought you were going to ride up on a rust bucket and 'F' me."

They had to get one of the managers to come down and look at the bike because no one there had worked on an EVO before. He checked it out while I was standing there and told me that it looked great for an EVO and went back upstairs.

They listed it for sale, adding $500 to the price they gave me on trade, and sold it within a week.

If you have to trade in you should be able to find a dealer who will take them. Shop around. Just don't get insulted at the trade offers.

I don't think that is really true Nice shovels don't stay on CL here very long. Last August I was in the mood to buy a shovel and everyone I called said sorry man got a buyer already.

A craptastic shovel may be hard to unload but good ones are well sought after here.

So maybe the OP need to open the sales range a bit further just be careful when dealing with out of town money.

Hell I am kind of anxious to see what his bikes look like you never know...

If it were a 69-72 FL I'd be PMing the hell out of him.

Why anyone would want a new bike over a nice troublehead FL is a mystery to me.

Shovels are effing incredible.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

...and that right there my friends is the problem. No offense intended, Hoggy, but most folk who really want "an old shovel" or something like that don't have the spare change to grab one.

I'm not trying to defend a dealership here, but they are right. Those things are hard to unload.

I know where a shovel is sitting right now, starts on the first kick every time, perfect condition, the kind of bike that would make Twisted shed a tear, and the guy can't even unload it right now for $5500. No one that I am aware of has even made an offer. Lot's of tire kickers and "man I wish I had some extra money" guys, but no buyers.

Now, quick story for the OP. When I bought my bike new in 09, the dealer gave me a price quote over the phone, sight unseen for my trade, which was an 86 FXRP, and it was a fair price at that.

When I rolled up that morning to pick my new bike up, the salesman said, "Whew, I took a gamble on you that you described your bike right, and you did. I thought you were going to ride up on a rust bucket and 'F' me."

They had to get one of the managers to come down and look at the bike because no one there had worked on an EVO before. He checked it out while I was standing there and told me that it looked great for an EVO and went back upstairs.

They listed it for sale, adding $500 to the price they gave me on trade, and sold it within a week.

If you have to trade in you should be able to find a dealer who will take them. Shop around. Just don't get insulted at the trade offers.
If you can get a dealer to take one they offer what basket cases sell for at swap meets , 2 weeks later with spit shine wipe down they are asking 3 times what they jewed the unsuspecting seller into letting it go for . Watched a 1980 shovel , clean but had the usual changes people make so it wasn't OEM stock anymore get taken in as a trade . The owner had to have a new one and had tunnel vision , they gave him $2200 as a trade in . Same bike 3 weeks later was in the paper for sale by the dealer for $6500 firm , they had cleaned it up and maybe a few orings & gaskets and that again is maybe .

Screw the dealers with anything more than 6 yrs old sell it yourself if you have to . If you having troubles selling because of small town or booniesitus advertise in the bigger cities around you .

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, stealer did ya a favor this time. He would have scewed you dry if he had room in his floorplan, especially if you were already slobbering all over an new FL.

Post some pics and lets hear some offers.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Original Scourge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
Thats nice but the subject had not a thing to do with that
We're going to have to agree to disagree, Nubz. I think it has everything to do with it. The man is clearly a loyal HD customer. He can't get a trade in with classic, probably well maintained, motorcycles in his truck and cash in his hand. He can't get parts or service from a factory authorized dealer for anything over 7 years old. At what point is he being taken for granted, unappreciated, and disrespected by Harley-Davidson? It may be time to consider other options and since Victory is also an American made V-twin, I see it as a good place to start.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
perfect!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealerships are bad about that, like they have the corner on the market on these things. In Indy they have three dealerships that all think they are the only show in town. Tried to trade in my 04 RK and nobody would give me squat for it. Went out of town 30 miles and they gave me $4K more than anyone in town. Gues who just bought a new Street Glide?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,565 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Weddell hog
I woke up today excited as hell. I was supposed to get my new Harley today, I own a 1975 flh stock motorcycle,
Send me some info on the FLH...I'm looking for a shovel. Priced right, I could wire money to you before the sun sets

Have your buddy send me the info on his...I can't find a basket shovel for that money here. Same offer...if it's something decent I'll wire money and figure out shipping

anyone else? lookin for shovels and pans here... money burning a hole in my pocket

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Something not quite right about this...

Quick Reply: Harley knot