The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dammit.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 AM
good2hook
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to the rider and his family. I think about "potential mishaps" everytime i get on my bike, it goes away by the time i'm off my driveway. I haven't been on a bike in over 15 years, time was right and i bought my first Harley this year, having owned only rice rockets before. I defintely feel safer on a Harley than i ever did on a rocket, but i'm still cautious. Back in my 20's i almost lost a friend to a bike accident (learning on a friends bike in a parking lot) sobering. I'm defnitely going to take some safety courses and i'll look into that video. You can never be too safe, and knowledge is power. I defintely know my limits, and i know it's been awhile, so i could use all the help i can get. Stay safe out there.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
golfmech
Tourer

Prayers go out to his family.
My story, take it any way you like. Back in '91 got back from a tour in Kuwait. Not a scratch after 6 months in that hell hole. Within a week I was in the hospital after showing off for some split tail on my bike. Took a 20 mph corner at 80. Not smart I know. Was 20 and full of testosterone. Shattered my left elbow and broke my pelvis on both sides. Lots of recovery time. The moral to all this is that I still ride to this day. Every time I throw a leg over my bike I remember. I also have practiced a lot in all those years and have racked up a lot of miles. The only thing that has changed is the way I ride. Just my .02 cents.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by golfmech
Prayers go out to his family.
My story, take it any way you like. Back in '91 got back from a tour in Kuwait. Not a scratch after 6 months in that hell hole. Within a week I was in the hospital after showing off for some split tail on my bike. Took a 20 mph corner at 80. Not smart I know. Was 20 and full of testosterone. Shattered my left elbow and broke my pelvis on both sides. Lots of recovery time. The moral to all this is that I still ride to this day. Every time I throw a leg over my bike I remember. I also have practiced a lot in all those years and have racked up a lot of miles. The only thing that has changed is the way I ride. Just my .02 cents.
What happened too the subject of your flexing??

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
rcoyle002
Intermediate

The fact that she's upset is a good thing means she loves you, instead of saying damn wish it was you.....just saying. I was sideways twice on fatboy does shake you up. and when your sick ask the Harley to get you soup and see what happens, I'm sure your wife will.......

Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,973 Likes on 838 Posts

No offense taken, Buzz. I appreciate your concern and guidance. A no-so-gentle reminder is needed once in a while. Ride safe, my friend...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Originally Posted by good2hook
Thoughts and prayers to the rider and his family. I think about "potential mishaps" everytime i get on my bike, it goes away by the time i'm off my driveway. I haven't been on a bike in over 15 years, time was right and i bought my first Harley this year, having owned only rice rockets before. I defintely feel safer on a Harley than i ever did on a rocket, but i'm still cautious. Back in my 20's i almost lost a friend to a bike accident (learning on a friends bike in a parking lot) sobering. I'm defnitely going to take some safety courses and i'll look into that video. You can never be too safe, and knowledge is power. I defintely know my limits, and i know it's been awhile, so i could use all the help i can get. Stay safe out there.
Hi good2hook,

In regards to "...I can use all the help I can get." above, I will make u a deal. Only becuase I believe in this so much.

The BEST BEST BEST thing I did was to purchase the RIDE LIKE A PRO DVD from Jerry Palladino. He has ride Like A Pro V out right now I believe. It is something like $19.95 and when u get it, do not watch it. Instead study it. I do not make $ from this but Jerry an ex-motorman teaches u in 3-4 hrs how to master ur bike and ride like the motormen.

I believe so strongly in this DVD and it helped me so imensely if u get the DVD and find it is not absolutely FABULOUS and ur riding skills do not get hugely better, I will reimburse you $19.95. How is that? And u keep the DVD. Deal?

BuzzCap7

Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
A no-so-gentle reminder is needed once in a while. Ride safe, my friend...
Happened too me yesterday, downshifted 2nd AT the corner.......locked the rear and slid sideways for a bit..........( ya really shouldn't have too use dirt bike techniques on the street, but they DO come in handy at times)....

Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM
trashman1995
6th Gear

Be safe and ride safe you never know what happend to cause the accident.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM
MontyD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Wife and I came upon a cycle wreck last night on the way home from supper. Couldn't really tell what it was. Probably a fatality, as average citizens had the rider secured, giving him CPR...
It didn't help that not only was the bike black like my Heritage, but it was on my regular route to work. My wife freaked out, cying and all..."I wish you'd sell that damn Harley!"

I really was hurting for the guy; somebody was waiting for him to come home. Got a lot of things going on in my head at the moment...
Just damn.....
Sorry to hear that... I'd imagine it was a tough time.