The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In California What is the sign for butt load of cops and speed trap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Default In California What is the sign for butt load of cops and speed trap?

On the East coast people typically warn each other of speed traps by flashing lights. Bike gesture to slow down etc.

There was a crap load of speed traps set up on the way home yesterday and I tried different ways to warn my fellow HD enthusiast to slow down lest thy get busted.

No one seemed to get it.

Is it that in California no one really tends to give a crap about their fellow man, they like watching people getting knicked or is there some secret hand signal I am missing?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

You been around this state how long ? You ought to know by now the bay area is insular breed and way to many newbies who just never learned the old ways .

Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Universal

The universal sign to warn another biker about police activity is tapping the top of your helmet.

BTW - On the "east coast" flashing your lights at ANY oncoming traffic is a big no no! Gang members use a flashing light as a go ahead into gang initiation. If you're the unlucky one to be so kind as to flash, they just might follow you and kill you! Ain't life great?

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 05-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver

BTW - On the "east coast" flashing your lights at ANY oncoming traffic is a big no no! Gang members use a flashing light as a go ahead into gang initiation. If you're the unlucky one to be so kind as to flash, they just might follow you and kill you! Ain't life great?
LOL.

Urban legend man, urban legend

Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You been around this state how long ? You ought to know by now the bay area is insular breed and way to many newbies who just never learned the old ways .
I wonder whatever happened to the decades old "trucker" signal. Two fingers held sideways signaled "smokey on the side"?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
The universal sign to warn another biker about police activity is tapping the top of your helmet.

when did that change? I grew up on east coast in the era of the family hopping in family car and driving around to various places for vacation and the flash lights always was warning for speed trap.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Well I am taking it upon myself to make a change

Old 05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
I wonder whatever happened to the decades old "trucker" signal. Two fingers held sideways signaled "smokey on the side"?

Tapping helmets two fingers Jesus I don't have enough coordination for that. I was just rotating my left hand around top of my helmet and making a whoop whoop whoop like a siren sound. They all looked at me like Iwas nuts.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Tapping helmets two fingers Jesus I don't have enough coordination for that. I was just rotating my left hand around top of my helmet and making a whoop whoop whoop like a siren sound. They all looked at me like Iwas nuts.
Hey, its nice to start the day with a good laugh...........Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Universal sign for bikers warning of cops to oncoming bikers is tap tap tap on top of your helmet with hand open flat. Cagers won't get this unless they ride or have been told, I've heard and used when in cage the two or three flash of the lights.

Quick Reply: In California What is the sign for butt load of cops and speed trap?