The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Cop ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts
Default Good Cop ...

... and I ain't even choking on those words, LOL!

For the past 4 years I have been regularly followed, occasionally pulled over, and essentially just low-grade harassed by the various small town cops between the house and work. It goes through a regular cycle based upon the turnover rate of the towns' forces; new cop = cycle starts anew. Hasn't been a big deal and there have been no tickets, even when I was going a wee fast.

Recently the town just north installed new speed limit signs and lights at the Middle School. The school sits about 1/4 mile off the road, and there aren't any walking brats, just the buses and Mommy-pick-up traffic. You come down a hill at 70 mph, cross a bayou and drop to 65 if the lights aren't flashing or 55 if the lights (2 sets of 'em) are flashing, then clear the school zone and go back up to 60. Or you did until earlier this week. Now they've changed the sped to 35 at the 2nd set of lights.

Caught me by surprise yesterday. I usually come through well before school in the AM, and well after in the PM. Fridays I get off a little earlier and catch the last few minutes of the lights. I drop down to 50 when I hit the 55 sign 'cause I see the cop sitting on the side. He sticks his arm out and starts giving the "slow down" routine. I back off the throttle wondering "what for I gotta slow down, I'm already doing 5 under, you dummy."

He pointed up at the 2nd set of lights as I got close. Oops! They done dropped the limit to 35! He let me go, along with a half dozen cages, and probably all just as confused as me. Thanks!

Gotta say the whole mess right there is just that, a mess. From 70 to 65 to 55, or maybe 35, and then back up to 60, all within a couple hundred yards. Oh well, didn't get stopped, and now I know what is going on.

Good cop!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,506 Likes on 17,701 Posts

I feel you at least you caught a break , they are brutal with school zones & tickets out here . We have a well traveled 2 lane here the changes cities in the middle of a very short rail overpass and the limit is 45 till hit the bottom of it then drops to 25 and goes back to 45 2 blocks later because of a preschool rear access service gate they they put in last year . Speed trap heaven at least 3 say a week during both rush hours . That's also the popular spot for the weekend sobriety check we get 4 or 5 times a year now . It's the only route of town without backtracking 2 miles and going round .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like they were givin folks a break due to the new deal. I've had cops do that on the hiway when I was speedin pretty good. They're not all ********.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 AM
TnThunder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep looks like they were giving everyone a break. Next week they will be writing the tickets I bet.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I sure like it when cops do what they were formed for- general protection not revenue.

The politicians got them so loaded up with other enforcement and political status quos that I don't recognize them as anything else but contract heavies to keep the CJ machine greased and the local/county/state government's coffers full.

It's a shame really, coming from my childhood days when my dad introduced me to a cop on the street and told me if I ever needed any help to "look for this guy or someone wearing this uniform."

Just a thin green line now.....so went Rome

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

our school zones around here drop down to anywhere between 15 and 35 mph. theres one zone that i know of traveling to a medical center that goes to 15 and has cameras installed.. theres no lights, just a posted sign of the zone times.. luckily its only a hour in the morning and afternoon. i'm sure the county is making some big bucks off the cam's..

Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's some of us that still like doing the job the right way. I'm a Peace Officer, not a Law Enforcement Officer. Sadly, there's few of the former and more of the latter:

I do not like the term ‘Law Enforcement Officer.’ Why?

A Law Enforcement Officer stops you for a headlight being out on your car. He finds no other violation and writes you a ticket for the headlight being out!!
A PEACE OFFICER stops you for a headlight being out on your car. He finds no other violation, tells you to get it repaired, and sends you on your way with no ticket being written.

Don’t call me a LEO, I’m a PEACE OFFICER!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Here in my Berg....
If you get a fixit ticket, and ya go to court to show proof of correction, ya still have to pay $25 to get cleared.
And for anyother violation on top of the fine, you have to pay $79 court cost....

Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pulled over last weekend for doing 70 in a 55. I was having fun out in the GA mountains. I thought for sure I was getting a ticket. We chatted a bit about how he usually gets the crotch rockets. Didn't bully me at all. I told him I was just screwing off having a little too much fun. He handed me my ID and told me to have a nice day. I was shocked, and very grateful! I RARELY ever get let go.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74
There's some of us that still like doing the job the right way. I'm a Peace Officer, not a Law Enforcement Officer. Sadly, there's few of the former and more of the latter:

I do not like the term ‘Law Enforcement Officer.’ Why?

A Law Enforcement Officer stops you for a headlight being out on your car. He finds no other violation and writes you a ticket for the headlight being out!!
A PEACE OFFICER stops you for a headlight being out on your car. He finds no other violation, tells you to get it repaired, and sends you on your way with no ticket being written.

Don’t call me a LEO, I’m a PEACE OFFICER!

Having interned for Drug Courts, and being around all types of people in the industry (both sides of the fence), I say "Thank You" for being "Real" about your service to the Society we live in.

Quick Reply: Good Cop ...