The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it because we are Metrosexual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always work on my own stuff (Bikes, cars, boats, home)

Too many times I see people getting ripped off (cost), the "mechanic" not doing something they should or the mechanic just screwing stuff up.

No one cars more about your stuff than you do.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Auckland
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its because some people make more money than you and don't need to work on the things they buy?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Who cares? If you don't like it, don't ride anymore.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Working on your own stuff is part of what it is to be a man. Lots of males out there, but fewer men. I won't even type down the word you put in the title. If someone actually identifies themselves with that title, I don't want to know them.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Auckland
Maybe its because some people make more money than you and don't need to work on the things they buy?
Typical MVD attitude. I make plenty of money, but I don't pay people to do things that I'm capable of doing.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can do a few things myself, choose not to do some things because of the hassle, but I will say this

without all the NEW Harley owners out there with the bank accounts and credit scores big enough to buy these wonderful machines, there would be a lot of your OLD guys out there thinking fondly of your old HD MoCo the same way the Indian folks do, because it wasn't too long ago, just before the motorcycle boom hit, that HD was in BIG BIG Trouble.

So while you are making fun of those folks, how about you throw them a thank you also.

Yeah I've been riding since 93 but I started on a Honda CBR 600 F2 and you didn't want to start messing around a screw something up on a bike that went 152mph right off the showroom floor back then either.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
SNIP I make plenty of money, but I don't pay people to do things that I'm capable of doing.
I let my health determine what I can and cannot do, so far roofs are definitely out of the question, weed eating is coming up fast on the inside.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
I let my health determine what I can and cannot do, so far roofs are definitely out of the question, weed eating is coming up fast on the inside.
Health is a completely different matter. I was addressing the idea that guys that work on their bikes do so because they can't afford to pay to have the work done. It's very typical of the DC suburbs.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
I’m amazed by some of the people that ride motorcycles today, I’ve been riding for more than thirty years and I had to learn something about wrenching on my bikes. I am not a mechanic in any way, but I can do some of the basics and I have a general idea about how my bike works. I know guys who go to the dealer to have a signal/blinker bulb changed, I’m not sure if it’s a metrosexual thing but it seems some of things any “regular” guy should be able to do or figure out.

Everyone I knew who had a bike 30 years ago knew something about wrenching, you had too if you wanted to keep in running. If your bike ran like crap you had to kick it 20 times and that got old quick. I learned how to make minor adjustments and knew when it wasn’t running right. My first street bike was a 1972 350 twin I could get a decent tune from the carbs (2) with my ears and my hand over the velocity stack and I knew I could gap the points with a matchbook if I had too. There was no internet you had a Clymers/Haynes shop manual and you read it. The bikes were simpler and you could work on them then, but a blinker bulb.

It took more than a bank account to ride then and the riding community was a lot more exclusive. The other thing we waved at everyone on two wheels back then, not many of us so we greeted each other with a wave.

FYI for my bulb challenged friends remove the two screws, unscrew bulb with a gentle push, replace with like bulb and remember righty tighty lefty loosey.
Auckland Maybe its because some people make more money than you and don't need to work on the things they buy?
Poster child for your rant. Me? It all depends on how lazy I am, which seems to increasing along with my age!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I changed my own tail light bulb the other day. Yay for me! I actually went down to the hardware store and bought it and replaced it all by myself. I think folks should take the time to learn how to do these things, what if they get stuck on the road with no cell phone service???

Quick Reply: Is it because we are Metrosexual?