The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Default Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?

I got to thinking about something the other day so I thought I'd ask here.

Most people assume that all cops are gun guys and gals. They shoot all the time, they love shooting sports etc. Well that is just not the reality and I am not saying it should be.

So that led to are motorcycle cops generally motorcycle enthusiasts? I know they are extremely proficient, I know they spend all day on a bike but when they go home are they nuts about bikes like I am?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Raider Dana
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't think they just point at a dude and say...you're a motorcycle cop. I would think that any cops with riding experience must have had the passion to be good enough to be considered. Those guys can ride.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
rapp76
Cruiser

You can ask the same question about a gynecologist and probably get the same answer.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The two that I've known are not so hard core that they do not think of anything else but do appreciate nice bikes and have personal bikes of their own. A guys got to be a pretty serious rider to ride year round at any temperature. Also, the law of Murphy due to so many hours on the road, they seem to have a lot of freak accidents with motorists not payng attention.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raider Dana
I wouldn't think they just point at a dude and say...you're a motorcycle cop. I would think that any cops with riding experience must have had the passion to be good enough to be considered. Those guys can ride.
I agree with you but I am still curious from those who work in LEO with bike cops or a motorcycle cop himself.

I have a passion for my job but I sure as hell don't consider myself an enthusiast and I know guys in my field that spend a ton of time outside of work doing stuff related to the field.

After spending a long stressful shift on a bike sometimes 6-7 days a week I am not positive that they are spending their off duty hours as enthusiast.

If they do they are quite obviously the ultimate bikers. As much as I love riding not sure I could do it

Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TNCarters
The two that I've known are not so hard core that they do not think of anything else but do appreciate nice bikes and have personal bikes of their own. A guys got to be a pretty serious rider to ride year round at any temperature. Also, the law of Murphy due to so many hours on the road, they seem to have a lot of freak accidents with motorists not payng attention.

Excellent point never even considered that. thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know , but .... I was up at Seacoast HD in N.H. last week . Some sort of training event was going on . Cops from all over , some in uniform some out , all on police bikes , were doing the cone course thing . I watched for a while . By their looks and the noise they were making they sure fit the description of an enthusiast. Man they were having fun . I would love to give those cones a go ,,,on somebody else's bike of course .

Last edited by TheBig-O; 04-25-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
rapp76
Cruiser

This guy didn't get this good patrolling the streets of Anytown, USA. Unbelievable skills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJxOsYh12yY

Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
lpx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they never wave back...

Old 04-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know quite a few that are enthusiests, own several bikes, and ride all the time when off-duty.

On the other hand, I was once paid to ride a snowmobile every day, all winter long, and did it for several years. I never really wanted to ride them on my day off though, and I never would have been caught reading snowmobile magazines or forums.

Quick Reply: Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?