The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,753 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Almost all motor cops I know ride off duty too. +1 on it being a requested position not assigned. Most come by at 4:20 when they retire. Chopper copper Steveo handed in his stuff and rode over first thing.
Many years ago I wanted to try a PD HD and my friend Jerry,a motor cop wanted to drive a FD rig. We traded for about 20 mins around the city. We'd probibly be fired in todays world.

Last edited by mjrfd99; 04-26-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Wake and bakin' Why wait for 4:20?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes I am to both shooting and riding.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

got few LEO friends I knew on the job
they wave at me in their vehicles, and give me tickets or warnings
some ride, most have a life after working in their high paying, stress fee job

don't bother me

got one that stops me regular, just to see what I'm carrying that day.......he's kinda loose

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one's that I have talked to say No!. It would like me getting a big rig and driving for enjoyment after spending long hours behind the wheels at work.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
I know quite a few that are enthusiests, own several bikes, and ride all the time when off-duty.

On the other hand, I was once paid to ride a snowmobile every day, all winter long, and did it for several years. I never really wanted to ride them on my day off though, and I never would have been caught reading snowmobile magazines or forums.
you are not the norm in that biz then....I ride sleds with a guy who guides 150plus days a year!!!!and on his days off he rides.....then in summer its all bikes

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lpx
they never wave back...
Sometimes they do.

Was on the 264 in Virginia Beach the other day and had two wave back.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
pmang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rapp76
You can ask the same question about a gynecologist and probably get the same answer.
Well done on the analogy!!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firecatguy
you are not the norm in that biz then....I ride sleds with a guy who guides 150plus days a year!!!!and on his days off he rides.....then in summer its all bikes
Hey, it's a lot of fun when you first start doing something like that, but after about a month, your snowsuit starts smelling like exhaust and you start feeling the aches & pains of trail & lake riding every night. After 3 months, you start thinking it would be nice for spring to come early, and after 4+ months of snow, you're ready to book tickets to Florida for your vacation!

Of course, when the next season came, we were always looking forward to getting back on them again, but probably not as enthusieastically as the first year. (The best season was when we got all new Yamaha RX1 sleds - literally enough power to pull the front end off the ground! Nothing like doing over 100mph, skimming across a frozen lake in the middle of the night!)

It was nice to be doing something (& getting paid) that others were spending many thousands of $ to do on their own time. We did get lots of comments from the weekend riders about that! I'll admit that it WAS fun, and now that I don't work for that agency anymore and that part of my career is over for me, I do miss it. However, I still won't buy my own snowmobile and haul it all over the country to just to experience that again. I'd much rather spend my money & free time on my Harley.

I'd imagine it is very similar to motor officers. I wasn't a big snowmobile guy before I got the position, but I had ridden them a few times before. We went through a very intensive training program that the department paid a lot of bucks for, and then we were turned loose on very nice equipment. We rode 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and the last thing you wanted to do at the end of your week was get on another sled. I'm sure there are some people who could never get enough, but honestly most guys I worked with felt the same as me.

I can understand when they tell you that if you love riding bikes, don't volunteer to be a motor cop.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know and ride with multiple motor cops. Yes they are enthusiasts. On guy rides a sport bike that he built from the ground up with all the best parts from all the best bikes. Thing is murdered out with just the right amount of red accents. There's no real brand loyalty to the bikes they ride at work crossing over to their personal life, but there is a crossing over of passion.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
az_steve
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I plan on going to the competition that is in Phoenix this weekend. http://phoenix.gov/police/spmtc_publicinfo.html Should be pretty cool watching this in person.

And I like this license bracket that was in a youtube video of the previous years competition.

Attached Thumbnails Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?-cop-license.jpg  

Quick Reply: Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?