The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
CopInDixie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Dana
I wouldn't think they just point at a dude and say...you're a motorcycle cop. I would think that any cops with riding experience must have had the passion to be good enough to be considered. Those guys can ride.
I work as a cop in Memphis, Tn and although I am not on the motor unit myself, I know a lot of the guys that are. According to them, the school that you have to pass is extremely hard with a high fail rate (I think the fail rate is in the 90%). With that being said, those guys say that people who have not spent a lot of time on a bike tend to do better than those who have ridden a lot. They say it is because you are taught a certain way to ride, and most "experienced riders" have already learned bad habits that are hard to break. Less experienced riders just do it as they are told without to much thought. It takes about 13-15yrs on the job before you can bid to that unit (I have a little over 10yrs). After you bid, you go to the school, and if you pass it you are in. Several of the guys I know on the unit don't even own a motorcycle, and one of them never rode before bidding to the school.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up here, the motor positions are tough to get and usually get handed out by seniority.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by rapp76
You can ask the same question about a gynecologist and probably get the same answer.
I didn't know that gynecologists were that interested in motorcycles.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
02LowRiderFla
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know several motormen and they all seem to agree. When you ride 40 hours a week, you feel like doing something else on your off-time. They do train hard for competitions like you see in the video above and they have annual statewide and nationwide competitions. Just a side note, you don't have to know how to ride when you get a motorman position, they send you to a school. One motorman told me that he always tells officer's that are interested in being a motorman, "If you truely love riding, don't take the position because it will ruin it for you."

Kinda like this: a girl may enjoy sex but if she works all day as a hooker, she probably doesn't want to go home and f#%k.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by lpx
they never wave back...

hahahahaha

Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CopInDixie
I work as a cop in Memphis, Tn and although I am not on the motor unit myself, I know a lot of the guys that are. According to them, the school that you have to pass is extremely hard with a high fail rate (I think the fail rate is in the 90%). With that being said, those guys say that people who have not spent a lot of time on a bike tend to do better than those who have ridden a lot. They say it is because you are taught a certain way to ride, and most "experienced riders" have already learned bad habits that are hard to break. Less experienced riders just do it as they are told without to much thought. It takes about 13-15yrs on the job before you can bid to that unit (I have a little over 10yrs). After you bid, you go to the school, and if you pass it you are in. Several of the guys I know on the unit don't even own a motorcycle, and one of them never rode before bidding to the school.
Perfect thanks this is some of the info I was looking for.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj

Jesus ChrisT!!!! so effing perfect. 2 in one thread made my laugh until my eyes watered.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj

Most can rejet a carb .... through the air filter.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Most people assume that all cops are gun guys and gals. They shoot all the time, they love shooting sports etc. Well that is just not the reality and I am not saying it should be.
You'd be surprised how many can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I shot USPSA and some members were cops and gun enthusiasts.
They were avg shots at best. Not saying there aren't some world class LE shooters, but these guys plain sucked.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

A motor officer came into my place of employment a few years ago. We struck up a conversation and I asked him what kind of personal bike he had. He said that he didn't have a personal bike, and that most of the motor officers did not have a personal bike. To them, it's just another part of their job. They're not enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Are motorcycle cops bike enthusiasts?