The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather pants or chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
That's mostly just this forum. One thing I've noticed is that, out in the real world, riding a Harley, I never meet the sissy-boys that post here about being afraid of everything from falling off their bike to wearing the wrong clothes.

Heck, sometimes we ride with a guy up in his 70's who always wears shorts, a t-shirt, deck shoes with no socks anmd a bandana around his neck. Reminds me of Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island. He's more of a biker than most people that post here and puts on a lot more miles.
really all this forum does is give you some insight on what some people out there are thinking, but like you said, would never have the ***** to say

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,464 Likes on 8,442 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
really all this forum does is give you some insight on what some people out there are thinking, but like you said, would never have the ***** to say
I've got the ***** to say it, and I will !! The thought of seeing Schu in leather pants, skeeerssssssss the **** out of me !!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
thefinn2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
That's mostly just this forum. One thing I've noticed is that, out in the real world, riding a Harley, I never meet the sissy-boys that post here about being afraid of everything from falling off their bike to wearing the wrong clothes.

Heck, sometimes we ride with a guy up in his 70's who always wears shorts, a t-shirt, deck shoes with no socks anmd a bandana around his neck. Reminds me of Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island. He's more of a biker than most people that post here and puts on a lot more miles.
I hope I can some day be as cool as you are, and get your approval.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by thefinn2
I was in Nevada and California looking for a pair of leather pants since I've lost quite a bit of weight, and my FXRG pants look like clown pants. All I was able to find were chaps, or leather pants/jeans with no armor pouches.

Online I found a very nice pair of leathers from Alpinestars for cruising, complete with armor pockets in knees, and hips - although they appear to be discontinued. But it occurred to me that chaps might be a more versatile option. I have a pair of Sartso Killer kevlar pants with armor for cruising around town, and I could put on chaps for added protection on longer trips.

I'd like something that I can wear off my bike as well as on it. I'm also a bit concerned about excessive heat in the summer, as I sweat a lot - although non-perforated leather pants without vents are not exactly cool, either.

Any experience on pants vs chaps from those with more miles than me?
If you have the budget and want the best you can't beat Motoport custom made Kevlar gear. They are the only company to make Kevlar gear certified by the AMA for motorcycle racing/track use. Also much more versatile compared to leather wrt heat/rain/cold with vents, removable wind/rain and insulating liners. Lots of great reviews of their gear on the forums.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=15

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-14-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when its 45 to 55, 60 i wear lined jeans....under 45 its long johns and jeans. i will carry chaps in the mountains in sept, oct, nov. in case the temp drops at night and i am over an hour from a destination. i dont like the long johns if its not real cold out, my ***** and *** start complaining. i dont care what people think, i am warm and they act like tough guys as they freeze their ***** off. coming back from ocean city maryland to the poconos on year with my buddy, when we hit deleware, it dropped to like 36, we pulled over frezzing our *** off, i had chaps he had to wear 3 pair of dirty jeans for the 2 hour ride on the highway.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Leather pants? Who are you, Mike Reno?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,996 Likes on 17,903 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Think I'm the shy type in public ?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 AM
thefinn2
Advanced

Originally Posted by fat_tony
If you have the budget and want the best you can't beat Motoport custom made Kevlar gear. They are the only company to make Kevlar gear certified by the AMA for motorcycle racing/track use. Also much more versatile compared to leather wrt heat/rain/cold with vents, removable wind/rain and insulating liners. Lots of great reviews of their gear on the forums.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=15
Thanks, but as mentioned, I already have a pair of kevler-lined pants.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,791 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Greetings,

I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread, but I'll throw in my $.02.

I had an accident the day after Thanksgiving and I can tell you, I was very glad I was all geared up. Even w/ gear, I still broke 3 ribs and my left clavical.

For pants, I was wearing First Gear leather overpants. I don't think they still make them, but they do make a newer version that I've been thinking about getting. Downside is they are too much in warmer, humid weather.

I'm seriously thinking of getting pants from Motorport. http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=13&Itemid=15

You send them your favorite pair of jeans, and they make the pants to that size. They come in either Cordura 600 or 1000 or Kevlar. As I understand it, this is the ONLY textile that is track rated. It also breathes. I love leather, but in anything above 80 on a humid day, leather sucks. I've researched a lot of pant choices, and this seems like the most ideal.

I am not a fan of chaps. I've owned them and always felt like my *** was sticking out. Also, if you do go down on your ***, you'll have zero coverage.

After seeing my wife go down a few years ago, and now with my getoff, we are both hardcore gear addicts.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thefinn2
I hope I can some day be as cool as you are, and get your approval.

That my post irritated you enough to say that means you can't.

Quick Reply: Leather pants or chaps?