The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather pants or chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go - http://www.grcustoms.com/shop/Kevlar-Riding-Jeans/

Now you can have the best of both ---- not look like the village people (leather pants and chaps included) BUT... still recieve the protection you are looking for.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom made chaps

Being 6'4" with a 36" inseam, I found nothing off the shelf that would work (I looked at both pants and chaps). A friend pointed me to Western Boot Shop in Old Colorado City near Colorado Springs to have custom chaps made.

I really love them. They fit, go on/off easy, and are heavy enough to provide excellent protection.

So I wear good jeans all the time and chaps when the weather calls for it.
...gene

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Chaps most of the time.

I like that I can wear whatever I want under them, from shorts on a hot day, to jeans or even my carharts on a cold day. Even my dress pants on the way to work. I'm pretty sure nothing looks more "gay" than when I don't wear the chaps and the wind blows my dress pants up to my knees when I'm cruising up the interstate to a meeting. Black cowboy boots and bare white knees? I don't care how much you say you don't care what other people think, that's not a good look.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I'm pretty sure nothing looks more "gay" than when I don't wear the chaps and the wind blows my dress pants up to my knees when I'm cruising up the interstate to a meeting. Black cowboy boots and bare white knees? I don't care how much you say you don't care what other people think, that's not a good look.
Hey, it's not gay. No way. I do it all the time. Leather dress shoes, dress pants, feet on the highway pegs, pantlegs over my calves.

It makes you look like an urban biker. Get it? urban cowboy <---> urban biker. That's my joke of the day.. ok, carry on.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Hey, it's not gay. No way. I do it all the time. Leather dress shoes, dress pants, feet on the highway pegs, pantlegs over my calves.

It makes you look like an urban biker. Get it? urban cowboy <---> urban biker. That's my joke of the day.. ok, carry on.
Trick is to avoid the highway pegs with slacks on . For me, long undies work just fine. Trip to the bathroom, pull them off and stuff them in my bag. Beats hearing Village People jokes all day.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Actually it's a new breed of rider that worry about the fashion statement or which gear is right thing you NEVER heard this **** 25 yrs ago .
You probably were not on an internet forum 25 years ago either. I know I wasn't. And I have not had a fashion discussion IN PERSON with a fellow biker even to today. There's something about the internet that just chaps my ***. And speaking of chaps, I do wear them sometimes.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,998 Likes on 17,904 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
You probably were not on an internet forum 25 years ago either. I know I wasn't. And I have not had a fashion discussion IN PERSON with a fellow biker even to today. There's something about the internet that just chaps my ***. And speaking of chaps, I do wear them sometimes.
Good point about the net thing but the girlie man factor was way down back then too nobody cared about fashion , I get a smile just thinking about somebody in the bar saying out loud chaps are gay we both know how that would have ended . I can still squeeze into my old chaps I've had 30 plus years now and they get worn when needed .

Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I get a smile just thinking about somebody in the bar saying out loud chaps are gay we both know how that would have ended
Hey, just out of curiosity, why do guys wear their chaps in the bar? I mean why not peel them off and leave them on the bike when you park. Wouldn't that be more comfortable?

So, personally I'm one of those guys that says (to himself) chaps are gay when I sees dudes strutin around the bar like they're all of that, showing off their chaps and vest with all the cool patches.

I just don't get it. sorry.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

niether I have under armor

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Trick is to avoid the highway pegs with slacks on . For me, long undies work just fine. Trip to the bathroom, pull them off and stuff them in my bag. Beats hearing Village People jokes all day.
If I'm wearing lightweight pants they seem to make it to my knees regardless of where my feet are. Maybe I need to slow down!

I don't get any Village People jokes, but I have a hard time masking my disdain for those who ask, when I walk in carrying my helmet and wearing black leather jacket and chaps, "Did you ride your motorcycle today?"

Here's your sign.

Quick Reply: Leather pants or chaps?