The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather pants or chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motoport Kevlar airmesh Maraton Jacket and Kevlar Mesh Jeans

Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Chaps are better for me because, they come off easy. When I start out on a cold morning I'm wearin' the chaps and by noon I don't need them. Just unbuckle and unzip and stuff 'em in the saddlebag.

My $0.02

Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 AM
jim gallo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the fall ridding in the mountains in main and new hampshire i use leather pants. but would never wear them in the summer. in the fall on long rides the temps can be realy cool .

Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by one-up
Chaps are better for me because, they come off easy. When I start out on a cold morning I'm wearin' the chaps and by noon I don't need them. Just unbuckle and unzip and stuff 'em in the saddlebag.

My $0.02

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

chaps. you're stuck with pants when you have them on.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by thefinn2
I was in Nevada and California looking for a pair of leather pants since I've lost quite a bit of weight, and my FXRG pants look like clown pants. All I was able to find were chaps, or leather pants/jeans with no armor pouches.

Online I found a very nice pair of leathers from Alpinestars for cruising, complete with armor pockets in knees, and hips - although they appear to be discontinued. But it occurred to me that chaps might be a more versatile option. I have a pair of Sartso Killer kevlar pants with armor for cruising around town, and I could put on chaps for added protection on longer trips.

I'd like something that I can wear off my bike as well as on it. I'm also a bit concerned about excessive heat in the summer, as I sweat a lot - although non-perforated leather pants without vents are not exactly cool, either.

Any experience on pants vs chaps from those with more miles than me?
I have both and only worn chaps 1 time. Trousers offer more protection on the dreaded slide as well as comfort from the wind. My trousers are lined with some kind of poly/blend and are imported. In the warm weather I still wear 100% silk longjohns with "em and cold weather add 100% cotton longjohns for 3rd layer. Legs long enough to stay down over boots. I cover all skin for wind protection as well as that dreaded.... . I don't walk around much so all leather is comfortable year round.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

when it's cold, I use chaps. easy on and off and good protection against the wind and cold. also, nothing is cooler (figuartively) than leather.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wear leather overpants for winter, spring and fall riding where the temperature is consistently below about 55 degrees. Over jeans I don't feel the need for heated pant liners. SInce they are overpants, they are as easy to put on and take off as chaps.

During the summer and when temperatures are consistently over 50 degrees I wear chaps. If it gets really hot I can take them off and store them in my saddlebags. I always carry chaps though. Even on the hottest summer days there can be a 40 degree change in temperature as elevation changes in the course of a ride through the mountains.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pants Or Chaps

I have a pair of Gor-tex overpants I use for warmth and rain. They have built in gators and slide on and off easily with it's warm and quits raining.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Chaps for me when it cold. Also will wear in the summer on long road trips just to keep the interstate grime and bugs off my pant legs. I'll leave the leather pants to Billy Idol.

Quick Reply: Leather pants or chaps?