The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker vs. 1%'r

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
I have always viewed "bikers" as people who ride a lot and follow the rules of good roadmanship, i.e. they help other riders in trouble, pass the time with other riders, consider their bike to be an integral part of their life rather than an accessory, help old ladies cross the road etc... but not necessarily members of a MC.

In the UK where I grew up this would be the definition of being a biker, so is there a different opinion in the USA?

Thoughts?
Then I'm not a Biker by that definition- no wonder we left England.

The best thing I can offer is here it's all about being free of the constraints of the rat race and all the entrapments of it.

Check with these guys for opinions about definitions of 1%ers vs Bikers.

http://www.hellsangelslondon.com/

http://iskra1916.hubpages.com/hub/A-...torcycle-Clubs

Cheers!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the guy who thought you had to be a 1%'r to be a biker was talking out of the hole in his ***, glad to see the US attitude is much the same as the UK one, this wasn't a thread asking what a 1%'r was/is, I know exactly what they are.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

It's like I often say: "You gotta believe what you gotta believe." I believe that if you feel the need to tell someone you are a 'biker', then you aren't.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeus33
You hit the nail right on the head with that. There's a few more formulas that guys use...

- I ride a xxxxx, they're the coolest bike so I'm a biker. If you ride but don't ride a bike like mine then you're a poser.

- I have been riding for xxx years so I'm a biker, if you haven't been that long then you're a poser.

- If you don't have a ton of money in aftermarket crap bolted on your bike like me and you ride a stock bike then you must be a poser.

- If you have a real job and can only get away on weekends, not like me, I'm too cool to work I ride everyday. Then you're not a biker like me, you're a poser.

haha.
Don't forget riding in rain and snow and never washing your bike

Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
flamedking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see what difference it makes anyway. I have bikes and I ride them..I have a car and I drive it. I own a gun and I shoot..I also have a riding mower and I enjoy mowing. One day I may ride in boots, next flip flops, or my favorite Chuck taylors. I do admire the guys that can ride 365, but I have three teenagers that all play ball. So??????? The only thing that bothers me on this forum are the ones that rub my face into the fact they ride more than me, or the smarta$$ that knows more than everyone else, and to that I give the American one finger.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Your friend has watched to much Sons if Anarchy, or he has watched to much Gang Land, or he has read to much crap on Internet sites.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

1%er - someone with an affiliation to a motorcycle gang involved in criminal activity like the Hells Angels, Satans Choice, Banditos

biker - a fashion statement or look (leather vest, chaps, finger-less gloves, bandannas, etc.)

motorcycle enthusiast - someone interested in motorcycling and motorcycles

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Like TB and Alkay have stated, I prefer Scooter Tramp.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fat_tony
1%er - someone with an affiliation to a motorcycle gang involved in criminal activity like the Hells Angels, Satans Choice, Banditos

biker - a fashion statement or look (leather vest, chaps, finger-less gloves, bandannas, etc.)

motorcycle enthusiast - someone interested in motorcycling and motorcycles
Nope. Missed it by a mile.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here goes:
'Biker' is a term most commonly used by the non- motorcycling public to describe someone that rides a Harley-Davidson and wears black leather. It can be either neutral or derogatory depending on context (or how snooty the user is). It's almost never used positively by the non-riding community.
Normally the non-riding public thinks we all belong to some kind of 1% club and view us according to their narrow perception of life.
The only time the term 'biker is used positively is when one 'biker' refers to another 'biker' as a 'biker'.

Quick Reply: Biker vs. 1%'r