The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter115
I started just to cover scratches on my lid...after two decades, it's just one big multi-layer of vinyl...Mostly freebies given away at bike events, tattoo conventions, and the pool store (no diving). I'm too sentimental to start over now LOL

ETA: I forgot the duct tape....

I guess I should clarify and say the "anti-helmet" stickers are the one's I was talking about.

Stickers themselves are pretty cool. I have a few I've picked up here and there, but I only started putting them on last year, I have a while to go before I have the while thing covered....lol

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Bad Seed
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If the seat fits.....

I love the look of the softtail crossbones, and especially the old school solo spring seat. Are those seats available for my XL1200R Roadster? It's already blacked out and mean looking, but that kind of seat would be an awesome touch.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by purevil71
I guess I should clarify and say the "anti-helmet" stickers are the one's I was talking about.

Stickers themselves are pretty cool. I have a few I've picked up here and there, but I only started putting them on last year, I have a while to go before I have the while thing covered....lol

LOL, it's fine...I think I have one of them on there too...only time I wear it is if I go into NJ any further than trenton, or if I go into Maryland. I think there's still a "check clearance before entering car wash too"...some of them just show up after a nite of drinking at rallys. Set of horns showed up last East Coast Sturgis. Some people collect shirts, others dip dots (one of them on there too), I collect misc stuff stuck to my ol skid lid

Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One Road at a Time - 48th State ridden: July 5, 2008 - 1999 FLHT - Retired @ 68,786 miles
2008 FLHTC Crimson Red Sunglo - Startin' Over
Your a lucky Man Wever, Livin the High Life!!! I'm Envious !!! Good for you,,,

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM
lpx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OkieLongHair
Holy Crap, not sure what is going on with the multiple posts.
Now THAT made me laugh, whether intentional or not.

Very appropriate.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my issue with the whole 'It's not the governments job to protect me from myself" statement. I agree that if you want to risk your life in a certain way then maybe that's your choice. From a personal perspective, if you think that you don't need a helmet and you fall and bust your skull open then what business is it of mine to tell you otherwise. What I am wondering is if the "government" isn't just trying to tell you how to protect yourself but maybe trying to avoid situations where people end up needing care for the rest of their lives that costs tax payer money because of some head injury suffered in an accident that may have been prevented with proper safety gear? Just an idea. Because as I said, if you fall and break your skull because of how un-cool you think helmets are or you don't like "THE MAN" telling you what to do then I really don't give a $h!t. But if you fall and become a vegetable because you banged your head and a helmet could have prevented it...and your family can't afford to take care of you so you end up getting assistance that is financed with my tax dollars...then, yeah. I might have a problem with that.

Of course I am not sure if that is how it all works but I somehow doubt that the government simply wants to "tell you what to do". I have to think there are factors in there that go beyond what most people see but we are all too self centered and narcissistic and think that everything is always about us, the individual.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Here's my issue with the whole 'It's not the governments job to protect me from myself" statement. I agree that if you want to risk your life in a certain way then maybe that's your choice. From a personal perspective, if you think that you don't need a helmet and you fall and bust your skull open then what business is it of mine to tell you otherwise. What I am wondering is if the "government" isn't just trying to tell you how to protect yourself but maybe trying to avoid situations where people end up needing care for the rest of their lives that costs tax payer money because of some head injury suffered in an accident that may have been prevented with proper safety gear? Just an idea. Because as I said, if you fall and break your skull because of how un-cool you think helmets are or you don't like "THE MAN" telling you what to do then I really don't give a $h!t. But if you fall and become a vegetable because you banged your head and a helmet could have prevented it...and your family can't afford to take care of you so you end up getting assistance that is financed with my tax dollars...then, yeah. I might have a problem with that.

Of course I am not sure if that is how it all works but I somehow doubt that the government simply wants to "tell you what to do". I have to think there are factors in there that go beyond what most people see but we are all too self centered and narcissistic and think that everything is always about us, the individual.
I think a better campaign for you would be going after drug dealers and illegals. I know in Nashville, Vanderbilt is looking at bankruptcy because of non payment and our laws. At least we pay taxes to support the system and I for one would like my money going to the Children's Center instead of the next gun shot victim dealing drugs to the same kids we are trying to protect. We should also make a helmet law for automobiles because most long term injuries are head trauma. Think that would pass ? You need to take your argument to the non-taxpayers. JMHO

Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine

Not saying that you are wrong in your thinking.....completely, but lets use your thought process/logic and go after the lottery winner who still collects food stamps that the tax payers are paying for, and while we are at it how about going after all of the people fraudulently taking handouts from our tax dollars. (I'm sure I don't have to show proof to most of you here that some people that are using food stamps eat better than we do and buy stuff they shouldn't be buying if they are on food stamps.) If you can't afford to pay for all of your own food, don't be buying cigarettes and/or lottery tickets as two examples, if you are accepting food stamps.

If you come up and ask me for a cigarette, I would most often give one if I have it. (That is my choice.) I don't like it when money comes out of my pocket when paying taxes that support someone else on a system like food stamps and they buy cigarettes. (Not my choice.)

After all that is taken care of and cleaned up, then talk to me about my rights to my choice of wearing a helmet or not.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Mike, I thought your observation was totally funny. I actually got a laugh out of it. But you you gotta know you can't mention the word 'helmet' in post without all the stories about how they saved my life and you are an idiot for not wearing one, even though it has NOTHING to do with the original post!!!!
Jeez you guys, give it a break.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tiretronix
I think a better campaign for you would be going after drug dealers and illegals. I know in Nashville, Vanderbilt is looking at bankruptcy because of non payment and our laws. At least we pay taxes to support the system and I for one would like my money going to the Children's Center instead of the next gun shot victim dealing drugs to the same kids we are trying to protect. We should also make a helmet law for automobiles because most long term injuries are head trauma. Think that would pass ? You need to take your argument to the non-taxpayers. JMHO
Not sure what illegals and drug dealers have anything to do with my post but I'm sure you meant to make a real enlightening point.

Thanks for playing the "Stretch Argument Game" by asking a hypothetical question about helmets in cars. The answer is you have seat belt laws that the driver has to follow and the auto makers have standards for air bags, energy absorbing crush zones, and other safety equipment to protect the head as well as other parts of the drivers body.

Okay. Honestly; your response made no sense at all. I think I made it clear that I was speculating. Here are a couple of lines from my post in case you failed your reading comprehension classes:

"What I am wondering is..."

"Of course I am not sure if that is how it all works..."

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
Not saying that you are wrong in your thinking.....completely, but lets use your thought process/logic and go after the lottery winner who still collects food stamps that the tax payers are paying for, and while we are at it how about going after all of the people fraudulently taking handouts from our tax dollars. (I'm sure I don't have to show proof to most of you here that some people that are using food stamps eat better than we do and buy stuff they shouldn't be buying if they are on food stamps.) If you can't afford to pay for all of your own food, don't be buying cigarettes and/or lottery tickets as two examples, if you are accepting food stamps.

If you come up and ask me for a cigarette, I would most often give one if I have it. (That is my choice.) I don't like it when money comes out of my pocket when paying taxes that support someone else on a system like food stamps and they buy cigarettes. (Not my choice.)

After all that is taken care of and cleaned up, then talk to me about my rights to my choice of wearing a helmet or not.
I hear you. I didn't say that I was right. I thought I made it clear that I was simply speculating. I think you guys are taking my SPECULATION as a statement that I think the government SHOULD tell you to wear a helmet. That is not what I am saying at all. But somehow the whole "I don't need the government should try to protect me from myself" speech is rather narcissistic; that it's all about YOU and THE MAN. Or do you folks think that our government is really that petty?

Quick Reply: Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !