The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's your Choice it's a choice. Helmet laws are stupid like alot of other laws but they are laws. A helmet saved me once from being brain dead(my wife would argue that point) but I cracked it. It was a Bell helmet and they replaced it free. I had to pay for the repairs to the guy's bike but hell cheaper than a nursing home.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 PM
bauer4567
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wardenbf
I agree that it's not the government's job to protect citizens from themselves. I don't understand how every state can have a seatbelt law, but not a helmet law. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a helmet law in every state but how can states justify not having a helmet law but having a seatbelt law?

I do a lot of work with PennDOT, as a highway contractor. The only reason they adopt many laws like seatbelts, cell phones, fed regulated commercial vehicles (even when they stay IN THE SAME STATE ONLY)... is for one reason. Because the feds are not allowed to govern these things relating to vehicle code because it is controlled by the state, the only leverage they have is the money being funneled into the states for new roads and road repair. States that do not enforce a seatbelt law, stricter DUI limits, fed CMV codes, and now cell phones, will not receive the same funding... this is the ONLY REASON states care. They do NOT care about whether you are safe on the highway, they only care about the money. As soon as the feds need bargaining power with the states, they will decide they want all motorcyclists to wear helmets, and squeeze the states into passing the laws.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
purevil71
Tourer

I've never understood why people put those stickers on their lids either. I guess it's in the spirit of rebellion coming out in them.

Either that or it hurts less than putting them on their heads...lol

Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieLongHair
Holy Crap, not sure what is going on with the multiple posts.

I'm not sure the helmet saved you, I detect brain damage with the multiple posts.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by purevil71
I've never understood why people put those stickers on their lids either. I guess it's in the spirit of rebellion coming out in them.

Either that or it hurts less than putting them on their heads...lol

I started just to cover scratches on my lid...after two decades, it's just one big multi-layer of vinyl...Mostly freebies given away at bike events, tattoo conventions, and the pool store (no diving). I'm too sentimental to start over now LOL

ETA: I forgot the duct tape....

Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Thor
Road Master

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I'm not sure the helmet saved you, I detect brain damage with the multiple posts.
He might have short term memory loss..........oh yea, he might also have short term memory loss

Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Found riding in the desert at 100 to 120 degrees in bright sun is far more comfortable with a jacket on.
Yup. Without a helmet to control the airflow, sweat evaporates way too fast to help cool you off. This is why I also wear a long sleeve t-shirt during the summer. It is very uncomfortable at a stop, but once you get moving... it feels nice.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,586 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I always like how a helmet law is never about the loss of a freedom, it's always about the fu(king MONEY. Want to stay out of that nursing home? Outlaw the Big Macs.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Luklikadirtbike
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Feds told the states to pass seatbelt laws or lose highway funds. Our seatbelt law up here is passive, they can't stop you for seatbelts but can ticket you if stopped for other moving offense.

For you guys in helmet states - does passing a law to make you buy a helmet any different than passing a law to make you buy health insurance? Just saying.
You got a hellofa good point!!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Thor
Road Master

Wasn't the point of the thread about a sticker? How did it degrade to pros/cons of helmet wearing?

Quick Reply: Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !