The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
... But you you gotta know you can't mention the word 'helmet' in post without all the stories about how they saved my life and you are an idiot for not wearing one, even though it has NOTHING to do with the original post!!!!
Jeez you guys, give it a break.
And the very next post is.....

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
I respect people's right to make personal choices and exercise their right to live their life as they see fit, as long as it doesn't harm others or impose on THEIR lives and rights as stated above.

That being said, in a quarter centuury career in public safety, first as a paramedic and then as a motor officer and accident investigator, I've seen and personally experienced both the benefits of helmet use and the tragedy that can result from going without.

This is not a speech or lecture intended to change anyone's mind. All of you reading this (or most, anyways) are thinking, reasoning adults. You make choices, set priorities. In the end, what's your head/brains/life and future worth to you?

One of the compelling reasons for mandatory helmet laws is not a "nanny state" issue at all, but rather simple economics. As you all know, or should know, comprehensive insurance on a motorcycle DOES NOT include medical coverage for the rider/owner. Thus if you are involved in a crash, your only coverage is that provided by whatever medical coverage you have through your employer or have purchased yourself. This coverage makes no provision for long term care if you sustain a significant head injury beacause you were riding without a helmet. So, you have two options: Sue the other party (difficult ot do if you were in a single vehicle crash!), or become a "ward of the state". Yes, you go to the cheapest nursing home Medicaid will pay for and live out your days being fed through a tube and pissing in a bag, all on the taxpayers dime. Not a very attractive prospect, is it?

Yes, the helmet laws do have an element of protecting us from ouselves, as do the seatbelt laws, but the underlying theme is a practical one from a strictly "financial" point of view.

I always wear a helmet. I crashed my police motor once at relatively low speed (less than 30 mph) and my head hit HARD. if not for the helmet I would be dead or be drawing with crayons in a long term care facility somewhere now. Whenever I see riders going w/o a helmet I feel sad for the potential consequences they face, but I respect their choice.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking

OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking helmet I was

OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking helmet I was wearing

OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking helmet I was wearing saved me

OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking helmet I was wearing saved me from a

OkieLongHair
Cruiser

I never used to wear a helmet, until I feel over ON A BICYCLE!! the silly looking helmet I was wearing saved me from a skull fracture.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser

Holy Crap, not sure what is going on with the multiple posts.

Quick Reply: Poseurs, Newbies- funniest darn thing- !