The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed about Biker Bar Protest

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
mistylou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed about Biker Bar Protest

I know you guys always have strong opinions about almost anything, let's discuss this.

This is local. There is a bit more if you want to read the whole thing, click link.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012...artner=popular

SAN ANGELO, Texas — The odds weren't that great for the creation of a biker bar called Throttle Down.
The Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission was against it. The San Angelo Police Department was against it. The city of San Angelo was against it. And the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office was against it.
They didn't like that the owner of the bar, Alex Suarez, wanted to set the bar up so that members of his motorcycle club could use it as a headquarters in San Angelo.
In other words, it was going to be a central place for the Bandidos, a motorcycle gang classified as being involved in organized crime by the FBI.
That's why the TABC got a protest started against the proposed bar's alcohol license application, and it was subsequently backed by all the police, sheriff and city.
The protest was upheld and the license was denied by Tom Green County Judge Mike Brown in a hearing on Tuesday.
Police Chief Tim Vasquez said Suarez, who could not be reached for comment, testified that he wanted to set up the bar for the Bandidos, but he didn't seem to think that they were criminal, merely that they were associated with independent criminals.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know nothin' about that group other than what I just read. I don't feel threatened by the MC's in New York that I hang around by chance or choice. I don't think I could say that about some other MC's

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
mwswarrior
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the locals are operating on "guilty 'til proven innocent" to me.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
techno
Advanced

Who Cares!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The should have it as a private club, then they should be able to do what they want. Kinda sounds like thats what they want anyway.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,098 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Sounds like the people of the city really don't want the biker bar there. Maybe they aren't judging the MC as a criminal organization, maybe they just don't want a place for a group of individual criminals (their words supposedly) to hang out together.

I don't think you can go the outlaw route and expect to take the easy road on these types of things. It goes with the territory, IMO. And it just looks stupid to cry foul.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
mistylou
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dirtyharryfxrt
The should have it as a private club, then they should be able to do what they want. Kinda sounds like thats what they want anyway.

I agree, however, the TABC is refusing them a liquior license. I gather the guy applying for the license has a criminal record and can certainly be denied just on that alone. But the question in my mind was that the reason for the denial or do they just not want a biker bar period? I wonder what would happen if someone else (with a clean record) got the license and still opened it up to the Banditos?

I'm not even saying they are 1%ers because I don't know. All I know is that they wear 3 piece patches and ride Harleys.

Last edited by mistylou; 03-21-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
jwhardin
Road Master

Police Chief Tim Vasquez said Suarez, who could not be reached for comment, testified that he wanted to set up the bar for the Bandidos, but he didn't seem to think that they were criminal, merely that they were associated with independent criminals.
Smart cop, easier to keep tabs on them when ya know where they are.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,098 Likes on 2,792 Posts

The cop was commenting about what Saurez said during testimony. The cop didn't say anything in the quote.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,340 Likes on 8,407 Posts

Screw them asses!! Guess they won't benifit from the tax $$

Last edited by JW1200; 03-21-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed about Biker Bar Protest