The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed about Biker Bar Protest

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
You ARE wrong. Speak for yourself, not for "us". I'll pick my own friends thank you.
Your premise is as weak as those who hunt thinking that its ok for the government to supress 2nd Amendment rights for those who own "black rifles", since all you own is a "legitimate" hunting gun.

Suppression of freedom is supression of freedom. If we don't stand together, we will certainly all hang seperately.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
Your premise is as weak as those who hunt thinking that its ok for the government to supress 2nd Amendment rights for those who own "black rifles", since all you own is a "legitimate" hunting gun.

Suppression of freedom is supression of freedom. If we don't stand together, we will certainly all hang seperately.
What "premise"??? I don't have a "premise". I'm stating my opinion flat-out. And my point is, if you want to wear a three piece patch, fine, go ahead. But don't **** and moan about how you're getting profiled for it afterwards. It's a decision you made, live with it and quit bitching about the consequences when you knew what they would be going in.

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 03-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

So does anyone here have some facts like:

Those who applied as the owner/operators for the permit has/have criminal convictions of the kind that would stop them from getting a permit?

For the record I have worked almost my entire adult life going against criminals admittedly of a different kind but still bad guys.

But as much as I despise criminals I hate the idea that laws, rules, regulations etc are not applied equally and with fairness to all of us.

It sounds like a foreign concept to some, but there really is truth behind the idea that today you may think it is ok to apply a different standard to those you don't like but some day someone may apply a standard to you because they don't like you.

So if they denied the permit based on what they think may happen if they allow this bar or if they denied it based on an association unless that is part of the current law it is wrong and is outside the norms of due process.

If they only gave liquor licenses to the most upstanding members of society we'd have 15 bars in the entire US.

Surely those of you against this don't think that the vast majority of people that open bars are pillars of the community.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I think America's gone nuts with being PC. We're not supposed to "profile" etc... But do you want the turbin wearing guy getting on the plane with YOU when he's wearing an overcoat???? Most of us are stating our opinions from "afar", but what if this guy wanted to open this bar in YOUR neighborhood? Would you be okay with it then? Whether it's just rumors or fact based, honestly would you want them near you? Why take that chance?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I think America's gone nuts with being PC. We're not supposed to "profile" etc... But do you want the turbin wearing guy getting on the plane with YOU when he's wearing an overcoat???? Most of us are stating our opinions from "afar", but what if this guy wanted to open this bar in YOUR neighborhood? Would you be okay with it then? Whether it's just rumors or fact based, honestly would you want them near you? Why take that chance?

So now you are equating 1%ers with islamic terrorists? WTF?
And the "NIMBY" argument, yeah that's vaild. Bet you belong to an HOA too....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

This has nothing to do with PC it is about due process. Sad that you don't know the difference. For the huffing and puffing you are doing you can't seem to understand or even properly address the underlying issue here.

My neighborhood is a neighborhood there are no bars in it so that question is irrelevant. and that is not the issue here anyhow. I am assuming that this is a bar in an area zoned for bars.

And here is where you and all the others that think that it is a good idea to "profile" in reference to your turban fantasy.

1. I have flown many thousands of miles on planes with the majority of the passengers being Muslim and I am still here.

2. I have worked on issues abroad where very very dangerous Islamic fundamentalist weren't the turban wearing, hook nosed, personification of what you apparently think a terrorist looks like.

3. There is very likely someone in your state that you'd have no problem inviting in to your home and maybe even dating who is probably also a fundamentalist believer in the return of the great Mahdi and wants to reinstate the caliph in accordance to the prophecy.

You may call it PC when someone doesn't envision some swarthy middle eastern looking male as a terrorist. But did the underwear bomber look like a "turban wearing terrorist"? No, he looked like a mildly retarded young black male in dire need of a good meal. You call it PC I call it ignorance.

What about the soldier that recently ripped through a village gunning down women and children? While he doesn't wear a turban he certainly was a terrorist. At least to the people whose door he kicked in. So should we start profiling servicemen? that is unthinkable isn't it?

Didn't Obama's DHS boss say something about doing just that? And that is EXACTLY how quickly the good guys can become the bad guys if we start allowing people to F over those we dislike.

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 03-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Back in the '60s, saying was "if you can't trust a biker, who can you trust?' That's always worked for me. This country was founded on freedom, liberty and the right of assembly. If a bunch of your-hated-group-here wants to have a place to have some brewskis among friends, more power to them. Hell, keeps 'em out of your favorite watering hole so you get a twofer out of it.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this yakking about a dead issue as another posted earlier !
The guy wanted to open a bar for a MC ?
So what?
He should have kept his mouth shut about anything to do with the MC!

Suarez admitted he wanted to open the bar for the MC...Why not paint a big stupid sign if you wanted attention to the MC!!!

There was a time when a person would have never thought to bring attention to a MC's way.....Suarez should have just bought TV air time and just flat out yell from a mountain top that he is a friggin' fool!

Disagree with what I put here..don't matter to me.. take a min or two and read this .. copied it from the OP 1 post.. I don't agree with 95% of what is printed but if just 5% of what's in this article is true...then Saurez made some very poor statements to the authorities...thus bringing much unwanted/unneeded attention to a MC

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012...artner=popular

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
This has nothing to do with PC it is about due process. Sad that you don't know the difference. For the huffing and puffing you are doing you can't seem to understand or even properly address the underlying issue here.

My neighborhood is a neighborhood there are no bars in it so that question is irrelevant. and that is not the issue here anyhow. I am assuming that this is a bar in an area zoned for bars.

And here is where you and all the others that think that it is a good idea to "profile" in reference to your turban fantasy.

1. I have flown many thousands of miles on planes with the majority of the passengers being Muslim and I am still here.

2. I have worked on issues abroad where very very dangerous Islamic fundamentalist weren't the turban wearing, hook nosed, personification of what you apparently think a terrorist looks like.

3. There is very likely someone in your state that you'd have no problem inviting in to your home and maybe even dating who is probably also a fundamentalist believer in the return of the great Mahdi and wants to reinstate the caliph in accordance to the prophecy.

You may call it PC when someone doesn't envision some swarthy middle eastern looking male as a terrorist. But did the underwear bomber look like a "turban wearing terrorist"? No, he looked like a mildly retarded young black male in dire need of a good meal. You call it PC I call it ignorance.

What about the soldier that recently ripped through a village gunning down women and children? While he doesn't wear a turban he certainly was a terrorist. At least to the people whose door he kicked in. So should we start profiling servicemen? that is unthinkable isn't it?

Didn't Obama's DHS boss say something about doing just that? And that is EXACTLY how quickly the good guys can become the bad guys if we start allowing people to F over those we dislike.
I don't want to get into a pissing match with you. I was in Mogadishu in 1993,and many other dangerous places before and after as well, but that's irrelevant to the subject. I'm addressing the subject at hand, and expressing my opinion on it, and you're addressing my opinion.

I probably muddied the waters by comparing them to the muslims, and shouldn't have even brought that up, but I did. But getting back to the subject at hand.

So your neighborhood doesn't have a bar, there are many that do, the question is, if your neighborhood was zoned both residential and commercial would you want this bar to be your neighbor? There's a good chance that you'd never have a problem with them personally, but why bother taking the chance if you don't have to? I don't care if they're wearing red and white, red and black, black and blue, black and yellow, or black and white. I don't want to deal with them or opening up a "clubhouse" near me. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, guess what I'm going to treat it as?

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 03-22-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, guess what I'm going to treat it as?"

Sunday dinner? ;- )

Quick Reply: Opinions needed about Biker Bar Protest