The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who buys choppers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Who says choppers are a fad or over? Long bikes have been along long than softails or cholo or othr "fads"

If I found a good long bike at the right price. I'd buy it. Not big on fat tire bikes but a real chopper done well is always a great joy. What OCC builds is gaudy crap.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by zworld
Ok, most of you are missing the point of my ? It really has nothing to do with choppers in general, more to the point. I was reffering to the fad of all those 30k custom choppers. Are there folks still buying them? Has nothing to do with building your own. It was just a ? about all the bike builders that were out there and are they still selling them. Was watching occ, and wondering if they are doing anything more than what we see on tv. How do they keep the doors open?

Then you should have said 30k+ custom builds that are the antithesis of what a real chopper is. But you didn't.

OCC builds gaudy crap that no self respecting biker would commission or build for himself. There are customer shops out there that build incredibly nice bikes. If you don't have a shop or tools like some of us do I see no shame in having one built.

I'll take a traditional custom Harley over anything sold in a dealership

Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

I wouldn't mind havin' a chopper, but an old school chopper-kinda like what Dennis Hopper rode in "Easy Rider". You can keep the fat tire stretched-like-taffy tank jobs.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
cactus789
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
After seeing some of the disgusting custom baggers nowadays, I almost wish they would bring back choppers
Xs 2 ...this bagger belly button thing is brutal.....

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have an old school 70's chopper to ride to work (~20 miles) with a gaudy metal flake paint job, giant sissy bar, pleated/rolled (or whatever they call it) seat.

But truth is I have neither the skill, money or time to maintain such a classic beast...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been a long time since OCC made anything that looked like a bike. I liked the POW MIA bike, id ride it.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never got it; I've watched bros start from a scrap frame and create something gorgeous, and it was a great expression of individuality...but go out and buy it that way?

I might as well buy someone else's prize buckle!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Luckily the OCC stuff disappears into some non riders front room as an art piece, if you were going to spend that on a motorcycle to ride, get a Confederate. Otherwise build something yourself that is about you and is different, chops are cool but they don't sell for that reason, they are someone else's self expression.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,014 Likes on 17,913 Posts

who buys choppers?

Ah let me see , posers , yuppies , rubs , and any other yoyo who thinks cool & unique can be bought , think that about covers it .
You can't build it you don't deserve it .

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
The same people who now are buying those horrible ugly custom Big Wheel baggers just 'cause they're "trendy".

Dickey says "**** on trendy"! Function has gotta come before form, or it's just a useless pile of expensive parts. 5 figures for a bike I better be able to ride it from Miami to Anchorage comfortably & reliably or it ain't worth doodly.

Oh yea; I'm gettin' real sick of flat black bobbers,too! Lotta biker lemmings out there.
Could not agree more!!! I hate ghetto looking baggers. Friken stupid looking!!!!

Quick Reply: who buys choppers?