The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hells Angels / Hells Angel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

Growing up all kids played cops and robbers or cowboys and indians..some of them grew up wanting the badge, the rest grew up wanting to take that badge..There are books and stories of both sides...I prefer the latter.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointman10
Why even start a thread if your entire motive is to deride a life you know nothing about?

Email Sonny and tell him who you are, where you live, and challenge him to a badass contest.

http://sonnybarger.com/osc/contact_us.php

RIP
Is that my entire motive? This thread was started because...

1. I happened to be reading the book.
2. This IS a motorcycle forum (relevance).
3. There is a great deal of biker worship on here.

I just thought it was worth mentioning, that based on comments he makes in his own book, he's not a role model worth looking up to. I don't feel like I need to live in his time, or relate to what it was like. The comments I made were based on the introduction to the book, written right before it was released in 2001. Am I to believe that in 2001 he needed to walk up take someone's jacket off because it had a patch on it? I don't see the need to defend someone who has the playground bully mentality at his age. Seems to me he's still a child.

Anyway, read more last night and between Sonny's and Thompson's books, Sonny's is easier to read and more interesting, even though I don't agree with his tactics.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

As someone said....full patched 81's are just 'regular guys' out to have a good time, like many of us do.

They...and the pasta eating fellas never caused me any problems in my life.

Take a walk outside at night in some neighborhoods I guarantee you'll have a gun in your face 20 times over before you EVER have a problem with any of the guys mentioned here. As a matter of fact I would bet you would get help from these guys first than the gun toting scum bags that walk the streets in droves just looking to run game on you and sometimes kill you just for the heck of it.

Two weeks ago a guy gets dragged into an alley here on good old Martin Luther king drive.

He has no money. Guy was told to then to drop to his knees and was shot in the back of the head. WTF? Really?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida
Theres plenty of threads on here I don't agree with or I feel are stupid (do you ride with your dog comes to mind) but I chose not to comment since there are people who would be insulted . Everyone talks about the freedoms we love and the parallels with riding but are quick to put down what we dont understand . A lot of members seem to think that they are the voice of HD and everyone else is wrong. We customize are bikes to show our individualality but expect the rider to fit a mold based on a group interpretation. You dont have to agree but you can reserve comment.
Sure, I can reserve my comments, but instead I chose to voice my opinion just as you chose to disagree with it. I didn't start the thread, just wanted to add my comments since at the beginning of the thread most folks were jumping on the OP for his opinion. This is an internet forum that is open for discussion. I really don't care if some folks get their feelings hurt because of my opinion.

As for understanding the biker culture I believe I have a much better understanding of it than most people. I grew up in NYC in the 60s and 70s. Met some bikers along the way including Sandy Alexander (RIP). Sat across the table from Sandy many times. Interestingly enough he was in my custody at one point. I have a much deeper understanding about what really goes on in that world than most people will ever have. Of course my perspective and that of 1% full patched members is significantly different, at least what they will admit in public anyway.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pccoder
Next, only read the intro of Barger's book so far. What a cocky, self absorbed person. 3 times during his intro he makes it clear to the reader that he sets the situation straight when someone presumes to wear a patch of which he doesn't approve. He proceeds to rectify the situation by removing (forcibly stealing) it from its rightful owner I'm not sure how he's survived as long as he has. Can tell this should be an exciting read about middle school playground bullys gone wild.
Really? Seems like that would be pretty easy to figure out, even just reading about it in books. That's like something a soccer mom from the suburbs would write about it.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,017 Likes on 17,914 Posts

I just thought it was worth mentioning, that based on comments he makes in his own book, he's not a role model worth looking up to. I don't feel like I need to live in his time, or relate to what it was like. The comments I made were based on the introduction to the book, written right before it was released in 2001. Am I to believe that in 2001 he needed to walk up take someone's jacket off because it had a patch on it? I don't see the need to defend someone who has the playground bully mentality at his age. Seems to me he's still a child.

Lot of secret patch worship in here , on flip side we also have a number of real & former patch holders who stepped away for their own reasons , I'm not talking cop clubs or wanna be HOG types . Don't kid yourself thinking it's all fantasy bullshit . Unless you've lived in that world totally and actually know how it works and the rules involved ( yes there are rules ) your passing judgement only shows a complete lack of knowledge of it .

There's owners & harley riders and then there's bikers , been saying since I joined this circus they are the not the same thing . Ones making the most noise about not being recognized or acknowledged as one are usually the farthest from it . Say what you want about Ralph Barger , when all the rhetoric and smoke clears he was real as it gets .

Some people walk the other side of the tracks , safety tip they do exist and don't play by your values .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
byg twyn 55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a buddy of mine i used to work with is a former 1%er, and was vp of his chapter. he told me alot of stuff about getting in, being a prospect, alot of insider stuff. some of it was humerous, some sad, and some just disgusting. guess thats why i like reading anything twizted has to say, he sounds alot like my buddy, been there, done that.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Anyway, read more last night and between Sonny's and Thompson's books, Sonny's is easier to read and more interesting, even though I don't agree with his tactics.
Enjoy your reality.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by byg twyn 55
a buddy of mine i used to work with is a former 1%er, and was vp of his chapter. he told me alot of stuff about getting in, being a prospect, alot of insider stuff. some of it was humerous, some sad, and some just disgusting. guess thats why i like reading anything twizted has to say, he sounds alot like my buddy, been there, done that.
I don't know of any retired 1%ers that will say anything about their club's business- past or present.
That part of The Life is forever.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
byg twyn 55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this guys not a casual aquantence, ive known him and his family for close to 40 years.