The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas Authorities Screw the Pooch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Las Vegas Authorities Screw the Pooch

Thought this was interesting considering the usual discussions/comments in the "start an mc" and similar threads. While I know nothing of the SNev CoC, I know my CoC is strictly a motorcycle rights outfit. Yes, we meet and share the typical who is throwing what benefit and/or party stuff, but the meat 'n' taters is centered around all motorcyclist's rights.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it - If any of y'all are interested in protecting your rights under the Constitution, get involved with your local MRO, be that the CoC&COIR, ABATE, or even the AMA. If you aren't involved, you are part of the problem. And if you are part of the problem, my back to you.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/13/43016.htm

LAS VEGAS (CN) - Police illegally threaten to shut down bars that serve members of the Vagos biker club, a coalition of bikers and a nightclub claim in Clark County Court.
The Southern Nevada Coalition of Clubs says Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department served a letter to co-plaintiff Scoundrel's Bar last summer, threatening "disciplinary action" if it continued to do business with the Vagos or any other club in the coalition.
A similar letter was delivered to "multiple businesses" holding liquor, bar, tavern or banquet licenses, according to the complaint.
The Vagos club is considered an outlaw motorcycle gang by the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the California Attorney General. Vago is Spanish for "bum."
Plaintiffs say their 1st and 14th Constitutional Amendments were violated when police sent the threatening letters.
They want police to draft a "corrective letter," to be approved by the court and sent to all businesses that received the threatening letters.
The plaintiffs are represented by Stephen P. Stubbs with Tax Law Solutions.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can they tell a

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will find some people on this board who will think that what the cops did was perfectly fine. Just another case of abuse of power.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gotta agree with you there

Originally Posted by frenchman
You will find some people on this board who will think that what the cops did was perfectly fine. Just another case of abuse of power.
Freedom of association is a critical right for any free society. It's quite frightening how current governments are finding it so easy to invade peoples essential freedoms. If someone wants to be a criminal then let them brake the law first, then arrest them.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 AM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow how can the PD say who the bars can and can't serve? That is up to the owner of the establishment who decides if he provides or refuses service.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad09sglide
Wow how can the PD say who the bars can and can't serve?
They can't. However, this didn't stop the local crime fighters from illegally harassing and intimidating local business owners. They probably figured that the owners wouldn't fight back due to fear of confronting the cops, or a lack of funds for legal representation.

Since this tactic didn't fare too well for the LVMPD, you can probably expect to see these businesses on the receiving end of increased fire code, health code, and building code inspections…not to mention an increased police presence in the vicinity of the offending businesses. Nothing will help your bar business more than having a bunch of cop cars waiting around outside at closing time to cherry pick your customers.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vagos should sue the PD for discrimination

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
They can't. However, this didn't stop the local crime fighters from illegally harassing and intimidating local business owners. They probably figured that the owners wouldn't fight back due to fear of confronting the cops, or a lack of funds for legal representation.

Since this tactic didn't fare too well for the LVMPD, you can probably expect to see these businesses on the receiving end of increased fire code, health code, and building code inspections…not to mention an increased police presence in the vicinity of the offending businesses. Nothing will help your bar business more than having a bunch of cop cars waiting around outside at closing time to cherry pick your customers.
Exactly. This is how organizations like that work. They have no reason to involve themselves in a business' clientel. As long as there's no laws broken they have no business meddling around in it. There's laws to protect business owners against this crap but between LEO's and city officials they will make it so it will be virtually impossible for them to conduct business and still keep their head above water.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson

No.... the police would never do that.....yeah right

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Freedom of association is a critical right for any free society. It's quite frightening how current governments are finding it so easy to invade peoples essential freedoms. If someone wants to be a criminal then let them brake the law first, then arrest them.
Exactly the way it should be. I'm in a small town and they don't have a lot of people to mess with, so I'm it. I've seen people get harrassed leaving the bar. Pulled over leaving my house, ect ect. I wear no patch except my district 6, but were loud and proud and pay for it every chance they get. The local bar has been offered "Protection" from us if they need it. Owner of the bar is a friend though so it was turned down politely. We have been called to break up fights and usually stand door patrol on the big nights, and the cops still thinik we are going to rape and pillage the town. Been this way since long before I moved here I'm sure, and will continue to be after I'm gone. If we break the law, arrest us. Until then leave us alone. In a perfect world.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas Authorities Screw the Pooch