The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011 | 09:25 PM
junkyardscrounger
|
Tourer
Default Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter

My bike needs nothing so I will be working on a couple trucks this winter,this summer I picked up a 88 full size bronco with issues with the front differential and transfer case so I am turning it into a 2wd version that should have been available from the factory like could be had with a blazer or a ramcharger and will be my next daily driver. After I get it done I have to reassemble my 66 F250 that got painted last month and hope I can remember how to put the windows in the doors back togather since its been apart for about 3 years,the next project is putting another motor in my 55 Ford convertible. I switched it over to latemodel power and the inexpensive rebuilt motor only lasted about 18,000 miles so its getting a used motor this time while I get a original motor rebuilt,should have rebuilt the original motor but I had a friend talk me into going with a latemodel motor.

Old 12-14-2011 | 07:55 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Those are some plans for your winter!

I think I'll be getting a propane heater this winter for my garage and get some odds and ends of projects on the bike done before spring.

This past season the bike was off the road for about 6 weeks with a tranny overhaul about 4 weeks into the riding season. Don't want to waste any time for the upcoming season and our travel plans.

I was going to get a heater last year and the only project was a new petcock. I really didn't think a flaming heater and raw gas would be a good combination. Guess I could take the chill off and shut it down.

(Just thinking out loud.)

Old 12-14-2011 | 10:42 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

18,000 miles on a rebuilt motor? yikes.

Was it one of those assembly line rebuilt things you can get from Autozone or something? What went wrong with it?

Throw up a few pics and quit teasing

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:47 PM
junkyardscrounger
|
Tourer

The motor was rebuilt by a shop in Indianapolis that was supposed to specialize in Ford motors but after purchasing it I seen a link to a mustang forum and had nothing but horror stories about that place so I think I might be the lucky one since it ran for that long,I would have been better off with one of those assembly line motors and wish I rebuilt the 351 I had instead of buying this one. I think the motor I have was assembled with miss matched parts so who knows whats in it,I am thinking the pistons are hitting the heads since 4 plugs closed the gaps when breaking in and suprised it did not come apart on during one of the two Florida trips. I have a rebuilt 235 in my 37 chevy p/u that has some issues too which I think its from the crank being polished and not turned so I think #2 rod bearing is making some noises and going to run it until it blows and go from there.
Originally Posted by carlgrover
18,000 miles on a rebuilt motor? yikes.

Was it one of those assembly line rebuilt things you can get from Autozone or something? What went wrong with it?

Throw up a few pics and quit teasing

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:49 PM
junkyardscrounger
|
Tourer

Here is what I will be working on this winter

Attached Thumbnails Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter-100_2479.jpg   Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter-001-2-.jpg   Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter-img_0229.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011 | 05:49 PM
chamokie
Supporter

My winter project is..........redoing the dining room and hall. Got my orders from the boss lady, last winter was the bike, this time it is her turn. I had a 55 Crown Vic with a 312, sure wish I'd kept it.

Old 12-14-2011 | 05:50 PM
chamokie
Supporter

Originally Posted by chamokie
My winter project is..........redoing the dining room and hall. Got my orders from the boss lady, last winter was the bike, this time it is her turn. I had a 55 Crown Vic with a 312, sure wish I'd kept it.
As a side note, do you have a reputable machine shop in your area? They can rebuild the short block for you, usually it is done right to spec's

Old 12-14-2011 | 06:01 PM
junkyardscrounger
|
Tourer

There are a couple machine shops I should have used in the first place but I dont trust the motor I bought from the shop in Indianapolis so its going to get a used motor so I can drive it next summer,I am planning on going back to a original motor but there are some parts I still need to find so by installing a used motor will buy me some time to get the Y block done the way I want and done right and not rushed. I also need to convert a 92 Geo tracker from automatic trans to a 5 speed for my sister but still need to find the parts to do that swap and might do that next summer so I can work outside.

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:04 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

my bike is just about done, come on summer!

Old 12-15-2011 | 03:23 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

junkyard, wish I would have known ya couple years ago.. scrapped a 272 that ran. Posted it fs and no bites. was only askin like 150 for the thing. I ended up selling a couple parts off it and to the scrapper it went. I had my dubl nkl, and all the parts from the parts car I dismantled for my car. I had an extra 390 out of a 64 xl we pulled in 87, my dubl had a 390 4 sp. Needed crap ton of work, so I sold it last year for garage space. Kickin my self that I did. We had our 55 since 83. last on the road in 87. collected lots of rust n dust getting pushed from garage to garage. My old man is still pissed about that n that he had to sell his chevelle to pay the mortgage.
All I have left are some merc wagon tail lights. Oh, n vin n title from the heap I parted. I do have a friend in fl who has I think 3 or 4 55 56 fords sitting on his junk yard acre. Let me know what you need, I can give him a call see if he has it.

Quick Reply: Going to be spending time tinking in the garage this winter