The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different opinion now on chaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Never owned or wore chaps, but bought my first pants in 79, all my riding buds thought I was crazy. I said you wear leather on top to protect you, what's wrong with giving your legs comfort? This area can go from 60 during the day to freezing at bar time, no brainer.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've known for many years the advantages of leather for not only warmth, but blocking the wind also. So when I got my bike, the first things I bought were a leather jacket, insulated gauntlet gloves, and my first pair of chaps. Still can't keep my fingers warm, but the rest of me stays nice and comfy. Windshield helps alot, and I wear a polypropelene face mask under my 3/4 helmet. It was 31 yesterday, and 36 this morning when I rode to work.

So far I've just used Meguiers leather cleaner on them. I'm gonna waterproof them with Sno-Seal this weekend.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Jim_G
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
I think the key is to make sure you wear pants under them. Then you don't have to worry about the stigma.
My stigma's not that big anyway.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:32 AM
hemisportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaps not only keep the cold air out but help take the sting out of flying stones hurled by the cages and the bugs that dive bomb.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dake
What stigma?
Originally Posted by White Ice
Homophobes believe that bikers shouldn't wear them.

Huh???? Homophobes??? You must be refering to the Village people association... I think...

I always thought that the "stigma" refered to the pirate/poser look.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Huh???? Homophobes??? You must be refering to the Village people association... I think...

I always thought that the "stigma" refered to the pirate/poser look.

This was never an issue till somebody opened the flood gates around 25 years ago and harley became the new must status symbol for the the clean fingernail white collar crowd . Till then chaps where part of everyones riding gear just like a good coat they weren't a fashion statement they where just something you had and wore and nobody gave a blue fuc about it .

Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried a pair this year, but didn't care for the fit or look. I been wearing V-pilot pants for 30 years, a little warmer on hot days, but the comfort doubles the painless time in the saddle. I'll try again now that I have a HD with a more relaxed posture !!!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_G
My stigma's not that big anyway.
LOL!! Yeah, the only problem with chaps is they don't keep your stigma warm. And mine is huge. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I've noticed several replies here where people have talked about "waterproofing" their boots or other leather products. Well, my experience has been there is no such thing. You might make them water resistant at best.

This is based on well over 50 years of hunting in all kinds of weather including rain and snow. The best I have ever been able to achieve is to keep my feet dry for the first hour or so but by the end of the day and after crossing maybe 30 or 40 streams...my feet are wet!

No, it's not my boots. These are my hunting boots that I purchased from a company called Buffalo Boot Company out of Seattle. I bought them back in the 80's. Each boot is hand made and custom fit to your feet. They ran about 4 bills back then which was a lot of money. Sadly, they went out of business years back due to the flood of foreign imports. Oh, I have found that Hubbards and Sno-Seal are the best conditioners.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Other than the "Village People" jokes - chaps are definitely a nice way to keep your LL's warm in cool spring/fall/winter riding. Also have huge safety benefit over denim if, God forbid, you bit the asphalt. Best way to avoid the gay jokes/ribbing - take them off when you dismount...no need to walk around w/them off...JMO.

Quick Reply: Different opinion now on chaps