The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different opinion now on chaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlow
Hey, I say anything that extends the riding season is good to go.
EXACTLY why I have mine.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For cold weather riding I find my pair of armored over pants to be great. Actually thinking about chaps for the summer, as the over pants get REAL toasty in muggy SE PA and NJ summer months. I like the idea of having the protection on my daily two hour mostly highway speed commute. Anyone wear them in the summer up here have a review for me?

Glad you found something that works for you. That is really all that is supposed to matter.

USMAMule

Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Actually, you are disagreeing with him. Wake Up!
TwiZted and Panz4ever for Prez/VP!
I thought he said homo, so I said gay. Sorry I'm ADD, have trouble readin sometimes.

oh ps...

TwiZted for prez. yeah..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
edgez
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHAPS, you bet!! When it gets real cold up here in Wisconsin I have lined leather bibs! Nice to ride all toastie & warm deep into the "cold" season while others are only fair weather riders! They probably would rather stick to their "cages" instead of putting on rain gear and riding!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I thought he said homo, so I said gay. Sorry I'm ADD, have trouble readin sometimes.

oh ps...

TwiZted for prez. yeah..
I'm feeling the love ................

Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

On another thread a guy said he rode in 30 degrees with no chaps. He is either tougher than steel, dumber than a rock or a liar.
Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Damn Chaps ****'s are out. Funny I never made fun of anyone who wears them, yet I get ridiculed for not wearing them. Your right I am dumber than a rock for even getting involved in a chaps war...You win...lol.
I've done it too! My ride to work used to be 20 miles one way and I made the ride ONCE with underarmor and jeans at 25 and froze my *** off! Just bit the bullet and bought leather this year and man is it nice.

Originally Posted by Marlow
Hey, I say anything that extends the riding season is good to go.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aces25
For about two years I ignored the idea of chaps for cold weather riding (below 40º) because I wasn't a fan of the look. Rather, the choice would be to freeze my legs or not ride at all. I attempted to use thermals or Under Armour but still would be bitter from the cold wind. I have a nicer leather jacket that I only wear as the temps drop, but I guess I couldn't get passed my perceived stigma of chaps - I never saw anyone my age (26) or close to it wearing them, always associated them with the pirate uniform, village people, etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA this sounds exactly like me except im 48..... but i love my new Dyna so much that i ordered a pair of chaps from leatherup with the zip out liners so i can get in some riding this winter when there is no snow on the road.
they are going to get their first test this sunday....

by the way,
i even bought some of those SISSY handle bar muffs, the generic ones for $28 shipped and made them fit my dyna because i hate riding with heavy gloves on.
the first test was 2 weekends ago in 45 degree morning temps with no gloves at 75 MPH on rt95 and i had nice toasty hands after a 25+ mile ride down to north east philly.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
88xlh1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've worn chaps for years in the cold weather and rain. Easy on and off, easy to store away, and cheap. Work as good for me and much more convenient than $400 overpants.

I also use my bikes to commute to work, so I'm not into the thermal underwear clothes changing routine when I get to work or stop someplace for a while and get too warm. And I'm not going to keep extra pants at work to change into as one poster said he does (what, do you have a spare pair of pants at ALL your destinations just in case?).

I've been rained on plenty over the years, and sometimes had a wet crotch when I arrived at work. So what. I rode, I'll dry off eventually. (if your worried about funny looks, wear black jeans. They won't show the wet pants as much).

Again, as one poster does, in cold weather I use the National Cycle air deflectors for my hand grips. Might look dumb, but my hands are warm and stay drier longer in the rain.

If you've read this far, you're in for a real treat. When I commute, I toss my crap in a small backpack and take off. Arrive at work, hop off the bike, chaps off in a matter of seconds and rolled up in my helmet, and I'm ready to start work instead of unpacking bike mounted bags.

So there I am, a chaps wearing, grip deflector and backpack sportin' **** looking goofy as I want to. Funny thing is, as the days go by toward winter I see less and less of the cool guys out on the road riding. Then I'm stuck waving to the dual sport and BMW riders (that's meant as humor, but the percentage of those bikes does seem to increase very late and very early in the season).

What I do like about the "off season" riding, is there feels like more of a kinship when you come across another rider at that time of year. Apologies for the long post, I had some time to kill. But at least SOME of my post was on topic...

J

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hate to say it, but those who don't wear chaps are either stupid or don't ride much ... at least under 65 degrees.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always figured that not wearing chaps because you're worried about what people will think is about 10 times gayer than chaps.

Quick Reply: Different opinion now on chaps