The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 AM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday night getting down to -19. The HIGHon Saturday -3. Nuff said. Winter long detaining has begun.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike
I tried Florida a few years ago. I love big game fishing, and for as long as I can remember, I thought I'd move to the Keys when I retired. I got offered a great job in Miami, lot of money, lot of responsibility. I tried it for about 5 months, and realized that I loved visiting south Fla, but I really didn't want to live there.
The constant heat and unbearable humidity was oppressive for the 10 years I lived there. That's 9 months a year.

I won't detail in this post why I despise SoCal but you couldn't pay me to voluntarily live there.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
The constant heat and unbearable humidity was oppressive for the 10 years I lived there. That's 9 months a year.

I won't detail in this post why I despise SoCal but you couldn't pay me to voluntarily live there.
That's the way I am with the east coast after growing up there , I'm good for about 4 days then I gotta go , can't stand it I miss the food but not damn thing else ..........

Old 12-01-2013, 01:37 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That's the way I am with the east coast after growing up there , I'm good for about 4 days then I gotta go , can't stand it I miss the food but not damn thing else ..........
You live in the Bay Area, which, to me, is different than the SoCal area. Although I wouldn't live there, it's almost a different state. A different mentality. Except for the political climate of the entire state of California.

I like the East Coast big cities like Philly and NY. I've lived in Philly for a decent part of my life and used to work in Manhattan years ago. I feel the people aren't as plastic in the East Coast as they are in SoCal.

Plus, as you said, the food is killer.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

You live in the Bay Area, which, to me, is different than the SoCal area. Although I wouldn't live there, it's almost a different state. A different mentality. Except for the political climate of the entire state of California.

I like the East Coast big cities like Philly and NY. I've lived in Philly for a decent part of my life and used to work in Manhattan years ago. I feel the people aren't as plastic in the East Coast as they are in SoCal.

And where I live is very different than both north and south Cali. I wouldn't live in either of those places.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

A good start for December with temps in the 40's. Took the wife to lunch and shopping so I had a shortened riding time.

I did a small 76 mile loop of the county before the sun dropped. Saw nothing of note. Not even a deer. This is rut season so I ride more careful and do not go out at night.

Weather looks good for several more rides this week.

Rode the Buell Ulysses with heated grips. On the low setting they get very hot in 10 miles of riding. Had to shut them off after 10 miles then turn them on later for another 10 miles.

Filled up with $3.089/gallon gas. If I had more time I could cross the Mississippi into Iowa and get it for $2.859. Reports are that it should continue to decline.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

You are actually wrong about the political climate covering the entire state. We lose a lot for sure but don't think for a minute that there are no conservative strongholds here.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dribble
You are actually wrong about the political climate covering the entire state. We lose a lot for sure but don't think for a minute that there are no conservative strongholds here.

Those maps look impressive until realize that the red is in the most rural areas and the blues are concentrated in the heavily populated urban areas.

Luckily I live in a state that I can carry. In Cali you can't. That's just one small example.

Regardless of the political environment and the SoCal mentality, I enjoy having four seasons. San Diego may seem like the perfect climate but I found it boring as hell. It's December and the average daily daytime temperature for the next week is in the low 60s. That's the same forecast all year!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gerbing jacket liner, pant liner, and T5 gloves keeps the low high desert temps away, (as low as 20+ F).

I hate the cold and don't miss living back east one bit.
No deer running out in front of you. No wet leaves lying in wait.
No bug invasions to spatter all over you and the bike.
Best of all, no heavy traffic out here where I am.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Huskerjim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
number of riders drops around here as well.
I'd hope so in Ohio. I'm Florida 3 years ago a buddy talked me into riding to Daytona from Jacksonville it was 31 degrees and I experienced what you call frost bite eyes. How does that feel? Like fire in your eyes. Never been same wear glasses now.

Florida I ride all year long but when it hit 45 degrees I hang the keys up.

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!