The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
Man... I could not agree more, right on. I notice a number of guys on here who claim to ride year round are also in warm weather states.
Philly isn't exactly a warm weather city. lol

Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM
harleyash
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys and gals may be amazed (or disturbed) by this winter riding tale. I collected my EG CLassic from the UK (Lincoln) and rode it back to the middle of Germany on the 14th January (1200kms) where the temperature did not go above MINUS 8 grad!!!!! I did the journey in one hit but I was frozen nearly to death (all heated clothing etc present and correct). It genuinley took me 3 days to warm up properly (and that was only after 2 visits to the local sauna). I''ve done some long (and stupid) rides in the last 40 years but that was a near death experience. In Antwerp it was minus 12!!!. Surfice to say, I did not see another bike all the way back.

You may ask me why the hell I did such a stupid thing in the middle of a European winter (the longest and coldest in 50 years). Well, the wife was visiting a friend of hers in Grimsby (old north east UK fisihing town) so I tagged along. Woke up the next day in Lincoln to be welcomed by 2inches of snow but the rest of the ride home to Germany was snow free but blindingly cold. Washed the bike twice and covered it with grease. Unfortunately winter is still with us in the Harz Mountains-at least a couple more weeks before we can get out and we're praying for a week of rain before that so all the salt can be washed off the roads!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 AM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a manly man for sure.

as far as i'm concerned, winters is for screwing more.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a manly man for sure.

as far as i'm concerned, winters is for screwing more.

Screwing more what?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
So...is your 20 degrees colder than OUR 20 degrees?
Depends on the humility. The more moisture in the air, the warmer it feels at the same temp. Good example it AC in the summer. Turn the AC on and it'll make it feel cooler with lower humidity.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well. About 6 inches of snow on the ground and flurries at the moment. It is supposed to get towards 50 by Saturday, so there's hope. I have managed to get out at least once most weeks this winter, but having to spend 30 minutes gearing and wiring up your heated gear really puts a drag on a ride and the quality of that ride kinda sucks.

Gawd, I long for the days when I can just hop on the thing and go.

@lh4x4, no one's raggin' on you, mostly just jealous and it kinda rubs a raw nerve when we aren't retired and can't spend all our time out riding.. Keep on keepin' on!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyash
You guys and gals may be amazed (or disturbed) by this winter riding tale. I collected my EG CLassic from the UK (Lincoln) and rode it back to the middle of Germany on the 14th January (1200kms) where the temperature did not go above MINUS 8 grad!!!!! I did the journey in one hit but I was frozen nearly to death (all heated clothing etc present and correct). It genuinley took me 3 days to warm up properly (and that was only after 2 visits to the local sauna). I''ve done some long (and stupid) rides in the last 40 years but that was a near death experience. In Antwerp it was minus 12!!!. Surfice to say, I did not see another bike all the way back.

You may ask me why the hell I did such a stupid thing in the middle of a European winter (the longest and coldest in 50 years). Well, the wife was visiting a friend of hers in Grimsby (old north east UK fisihing town) so I tagged along. Woke up the next day in Lincoln to be welcomed by 2inches of snow but the rest of the ride home to Germany was snow free but blindingly cold. Washed the bike twice and covered it with grease. Unfortunately winter is still with us in the Harz Mountains-at least a couple more weeks before we can get out and we're praying for a week of rain before that so all the salt can be washed off the roads!

That's an awesome tale. Good job.

Best way I found to restore body heat is to submerge into a hot tub. A hot tub is a necessary piece of motorcycle equipment around here. I usually hop in the tub (with the wife) after a ride.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
harleyash
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
That's an awesome tale. Good job.

Best way I found to restore body heat is to submerge into a hot tub. A hot tub is a necessary piece of motorcycle equipment around here. I usually hop in the tub (with the wife) after a ride.
I tried that but it didn't really work. My daughter the next morning asked me why the end of my nose was blue!

I ran the hot water for all it was worth and then submerged myself (risking 3rd degree burns is was that hot) but my body temperature was so low it was turning the bath water cold! Roll on Spring (current AWOL). This time last year it was into the low 70's F. WE get very hot summers by the way. 38-40 c is quite common in June, July August

Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I tried that but it didn't really work. My daughter the next morning asked me why the end of my nose was blue!

I ran the hot water for all it was worth and then submerged myself (risking 3rd degree burns is was that hot) but my body temperature was so low it was turning the bath water cold! Roll on Spring (current AWOL). This time last year it was into the low 70's F. WE get very hot summers by the way. 38-40 c is quite common in June, July August
no,no, a bathtub won't work, not big enough.

I'm talking about one of these...

Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode in freezing weather myself, just not nearly that far. Cant imagine pulling that off. I would have stopped for some heated gear. Hat off to you!
Hey...i was in Rodgau last summer for a week. Not far from you. Small world!

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!