The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule
I appreciate the tip. I really do but it really isn't my face (I have a balaclava pretty well) so much as my eyes. The chill on the exposed skin I could handle. Not being able to see through the concentrated salt mixing with fresh watering - that was what ripped it. Don't get me wrong, I got my eyes cleared out and made it to my destination, but not really wanting to do that again.

Doesn't mean I won't ride as long as there's no ice and snow - just not in a big chunk where I have a time to make my destination.

Mule
Well, looking at our bikes and Dew Me's, he's got a lot more bike up front protecting him from the elements than we do.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Got the Gerbing gloves but haven't hooked them up yet. It was in the upper forties and I was very comfortable on the 129 mile loop. Came across a rider on a Bergman, one on a Dyna and one on a Wing who did not wave back. Jeez even the Bergman waved back.

I use the neoprene half face shield and aviator style glasses. Face and eyes inside a FF helmet are good to zero. The HJC shield seals very good and I have a think neck warmer on that seals the bottom of the helmet all around.

The real test will be this time next week when the below normal temps hit.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Well, looking at our bikes and Dew Me's, he's got a lot more bike up front protecting him from the elements than we do.
Benway,

Yeah I'm sure the wind shield helps. It is probably a little different when the wind isn't actually hitting you in the face (even covered by a full face) at 70-80 mph. Maybe some day I'll get a wind screen, but for now they aren't for me.

Mule

Last edited by USMAMule; 11-30-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Hey, we need a little downtime to install mods during the winter months too...RUB's need to $pend on bling-bling too!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Benway,

Yeah I'm sure the wind shield helps. It is probably a little different when the wind isn't actually hitting you in the face (even covered by a full face) at 70-80 mph. Maybe some day I'll get a wind screen, but for now they aren't for me.

Mule
they make so much difference you'll probably never take it off again. Plus you can hear your bike so well. OTOH, anyone wearing a balaclava, FF lid, heated anythings at below 20, cannot be considered as "wimping out". I've had the eye thing before (even thought tears were gonna freeze), but only long after my hands felt like they'd been smashed with a hammer.
For years I thot I'd NEVER use a windshield. Permanent fixture now.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I appreciate the tip. I really do but it really isn't my face (I have a balaclava pretty well) so much as my eyes. The chill on the exposed skin I could handle. Not being able to see through the concentrated salt mixing with fresh watering - that was what ripped it. Don't get me wrong, I got my eyes cleared out and made it to my destination, but not really wanting to do that again.

Doesn't mean I won't ride as long as there's no ice and snow - just not in a big chunk where I have a time to make my destination.

Mule
Goggles are your friend.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by Quadancer
they make so much difference you'll probably never take it off again. Plus you can hear your bike so well. OTOH, anyone wearing a balaclava, FF lid, heated anythings at below 20, cannot be considered as "wimping out". I've had the eye thing before (even thought tears were gonna freeze), but only long after my hands felt like they'd been smashed with a hammer.
I got nothing against the windshield, per se. I even KNOW damn well it would be quite helpful in all riding conditions. Just a different strokes thing for now. I'm sure at some point I'll take the plunge just not ready yet.

Mule

Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
My Heritage came with the detachable windshield and I still hate how it ruins the look of the bike (depends on what look you're going for though).

Long highway rides, the shield goes on, but all other times, it's off. Gonna be in the 50s today, so I bundled up (without windshield) and headed off to work at 30° for a most excellent ride home.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM
USMAMule
Road Master

Originally Posted by baka1969
Goggles are your friend.
I wear prescription glasses, and can't see without my glasses when it gets dark. So since I start and end an night in these months, I have to wear 'em. :-) I'm good with riding a bit less and just for fun for a while. Then it'll be time to pull it off the road and do some serious maintenance that will require some disassembly.

Mule

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

As long as the roads are clear, I will ride to work every day. But for the last few days, I had to take the car because the roads were bad. I travel 50 miles each direction to and from work. I either have to go through a gorge or over a mountain pass. Either way can be risky.

Yesterday morning I drove through clear streets until I hit the highway, started freezing rain that changed to 15 visibility fog on the pass.

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!