The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Don't ya just love it when something actually works as advertised?
I can only hope I'm comparing apples to apples, but reviews are good. The runner up is what Harley and some other places sell for, at $150, under the name of Symtec Heat Demons. I have the lexan hand shields I made, so cartridges should work, IMO. No way to know until the teens.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Low this morning was 10. Weather Channel reported that it would get to 32. When the temp hit 21 I headed out and got in 127 miles. Stopped at the HD dealer and two riders were there. One brought in his Ultra for service and goodies. Dealer had a promo that with a service and a certain dollar amount of bling there would be free winter storage thrown in. His wife drove in to take him back home. Another late 02's couple was there to take delivery of a new Ultra limited. Overhead the lady say that it was hubby's Xmas present. She seemed a little sullen and not to happy. Maybe she needed a new washer and dryer instead. She was a tall slim blond who should only have a big smile on her face.

Got home and it had gotten to 32. It is supposed to get a little warmer each day for the next 5 days. Ride baby ride!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
ITOLDU
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have ridden everyday for the past 7 days temps have varied from 70-30 in Ft Worth, properly dressed no big deal enjoyed the crisp air, 124" runs like a beast. Now just gotta hope the soon to be wife gets me some better type of GLOVES. I hate it when the hands freeze up.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Had a great ride today in NW Illinois with temp's reaching the low 40's. We are to have 3 -4 more mild days then the Canadian cold front is hit by mid next week.

Ordered heated gloves from J&P Monday evening and they were here today.

At my age my hands don't stay as warm as they used to. I have been getting by with those heat packets that you open shake up and put in the glove. They work for several hours. Got the 10 double packets and Menards for about $3.

They worked well on my 110 mile loop today.

I have 23,300 in for the year. If I get any kind of reasonable weather in Dec. I should be able to hit 24K.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If I lived where you do, I'd have had bar heaters long ago - as is, the oncoming arthritis made me take the jump, and I can't wait for the weekend to make a trip with them.
I was nearly needing to tie my fist to the throttle at times.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Saw 2 guys on the road this mornin in the pourin rain. Course I passed them both ridin on my commander II's...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found my limit today. Even with heated gear you can't heat your face and an hour and a half sub-thirty degrees seems to have been the breaking point for my body. After an hour my left eye was watering so badly, that I guess the salt of the previous dried up tears mixed in and burned the @#$% out of my eye to the point I couldn't keep it open. Had to pull off to the shoulder of the road and get straitened out before I could continue. That was NO fun. Checked the weather and it was 23 degrees.

So yeah...now I know. Only short trips or frequent stops under 25 degrees. :-)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule
I found my limit today. Even with heated gear you can't heat your face and an hour and a half sub-thirty degrees seems to have been the breaking point for my body. After an hour my left eye was watering so badly, that I guess the salt of the previous dried up tears mixed in and burned the @#$% out of my eye to the point I couldn't keep it open. Had to pull off to the shoulder of the road and get straitened out before I could continue. That was NO fun. Checked the weather and it was 23 degrees.

Can't say for everybody, but I've found as my age increases so does the required temp I'll ride in.

Just no fun when you can't feel your body parts anymore.

Al

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule

That just means ya gotta cover your face dude. I've got this neoprene mask:

Does the trick for me. Covers my ears and sunglasses pickup where it leaves off. OL bought me a full neoprene mask providing ultimate coverage, but I never use it. The mask I posted above has done me right in any temp. I guess the lowest I've riden in is lower mid teens.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate the tip. I really do but it really isn't my face (I have a balaclava pretty well) so much as my eyes. The chill on the exposed skin I could handle. Not being able to see through the concentrated salt mixing with fresh watering - that was what ripped it. Don't get me wrong, I got my eyes cleared out and made it to my destination, but not really wanting to do that again.

Doesn't mean I won't ride as long as there's no ice and snow - just not in a big chunk where I have a time to make my destination.

Mule

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!