The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Rode a bit yesterday, least until the drizzle started, turned out to be a short ride with hanging Xmas stuff till 2:30 pm then drizzle/sleet at 3:30.

Walked out this morning to almost 2" of snow and 18 degree temps, took the truck.
Only set of two wheels I seen was some dude on a bicycle going around the lake, least he was on the bike path.

Al

Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The wind was 25 mph today and the temps in the early afternoon was in the upper twenties. So, after I took my wife to lunch I suited up and did 74 miles stopping at the dealer for a pit stop and refreshments and brownies.

It was sunny and I did come across one other rider who waved like crazy. I took it to mean "Wow! I'm not the only idiot out today."

The five day forecast is for sunshine and temps in the thirties going to 50 by next Friday. Yahoo another opportunity to ride the rest of November.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

We get a little tired of the word "idiot" from those who ain't there....I'll wave back!
See you out there, man!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMAMule
If you're anything like me, the heated gloves and jacket liner will convince you the only thing that can stop you is snow. I have had my Wide Glide for three years and always rode mostly for my 70+ mile commute. I would bundle up and ride until lows went into the low 40's. At that point I couldn't take the clod at the end of my ride. It was just to painful, and my hand were so numb I started having trouble feeling the levers or pulling them. It was dangerous. I love riding but not more than my life or the ability to get o the next ride. Now I have the heated gear and I can't see any reason not to ride other than ice.

Having your hands and core warm makes all the difference. I have ridden in the upper thirties (as cold as it's gotten here so far this year) and I can truly say that by the time I get to work, my legs and feet are a little chilled but nothing I can't easily handle. I know I'll ride until the snow starts piling up. Ice and two wheels don't mix, in my world at least.

Mule

P.S. To those who choose not to ride in the cold, it's your bike ride it the way you want.
I bought gerbings jacket liner and gloves and took a ride up the parkway from woodbridge area to rt22. I had a couple connectors already hooked up to my bike(one for trickler and the other for phone charging, etc) so the salesman sold me a 9 dollar adapter. I attached the adapter and stuck one end of my grerbing control unit into the adapter. It was a beautiful day today but I wanted to test the gerbings. I never felt the heat but had on thermals and was plenty hot. I got home and inspected all equipment and connections and realized the BMW salesman was a little inexperienced. The adapter was used to attach a battery attached gerbibng connector to a normal Harley connector.
I connected the included original gerbing connector to my battery andplugged the correct red connector and everything heated up fine. The weather is changing with highs in the 40s tomorrow. I will test out the new gear.

BTW: The BMW (ducati, husquavera, victory) dealer in Metuchen has some really interesting bikes and equipment. It was fun looking at what other love.
The salesman saw my Harley and liked it so much he took a picture of it.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Playx3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lady and I went out for a ride yesterday stopped for lunch and returned home via stop at High Desert HD temp 40 + and - 130 miles.
Hard on my summer gloves with the Heat Demon's on the 2nd notch good combo.
Yes it was on the cool side and yes we did get a little chilled but the hot tub was waiting for us at home.
Did I mention that the filter had plugged up and I jumped into 75 degree water.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
fair weather bikers would have been a better title. I know 2 people that have no problem calling themselves fair weather riders. My ex boss was one of them.
Some people just like to ride more than others....it's no big deal. I just feel driven to ride, regardless of the weather. I've always figured it's a sickness of some sort
damn now i got a sickness

Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

First we were just crazy.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Now that its getting cooler and moist all the wallet bikers have put there bikes away and hopped in the suv's. Now all I see are the 5 or 6 regulars on the road. Winters coming!
I'm not sure what a wallet biker is but the only people left on the road at <50F are those that have invested a significant amount in proper cold weather motorcycle gear - 3/4 length 4 season touring jacket, 4 season touring pants, winter motorcycle gloves, full face helmet and maybe a heated liner.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Only put on 64 miles today. It was 30 degrees and cloudy. Started at 2 pm as I had to take my wife to several stores from some shopping that she wanted to do.

Tried some new gloves that were neoprene and were supposed to work for very cold weather. They lied as about 45 miles into the route my little fingers were cold.

Stopped into the HD dealer and got warmed up and hot coffee. The owner loaned me his HD leather gloves with gauntlets. My fingers were cold by 15 miles. I decided to get some heated gloves.

The next four days are to be sunny and a little warmer. Looks like I'll finish up November and decide what criteria I will settle on for December. I'm beginning to think that I may raise my limit to 30, sunny and rising temps. I must be getting old.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Tried some new gloves that were neoprene and were supposed to work for very cold weather. They lied as about 45 miles into the route my little fingers were cold.
I've made that mistake too. Only leather really works.

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!