The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

That...would be really pushing it - the snow, I mean.
Mostly it seems that those complaining of the cold are the ones who don't ride it. The rest either dress for it or have heated gear - and are NOT complaining of the cold, per se. I've only been down to about 18 I think; not sure what it's like at FIVE!
Bar heaters came in; might install this weekend and get ready.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Back when I was young and invincible in my 20's ( as all kids are in their 20s ), I was heavy into ice racing. I remember going out when it was -30. So flippin cold the motocross suspension was solid.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Minus 15C (5F) here this morning new blanket of snow. No riding for me today.

Although it was up to 13/55 for a high, at 0 dark thirty the roads were covered in frost

cheers

Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Turkey day ride today with the OL - 60's, sunny...a lot of solo riders, just a few couples in the 70 mile loop we did. Traffic was real light, so we got to hit some curves pretty hard. Perfect day.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my first bike this summer and it is getting cold. But it was nice today in low 50s and I took the bike for a spin. I was going to put her away for the winter but after todays short ride (30+-) miles I decided I am going to see how long I can ride into the winter. Tomorrow I am going to my local gerbings dealer and buy a jacket liner and gloves and see how far that gets me. I have a 3/4 bell helmet with snap on shield and will wear a neck/face thingy. I am hoping it keeps me out there until it snows. I assume a full head helmet is probably the warmest but I really do not like be that closed in.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by baimo
Bought my first bike this summer and it is getting cold. But it was nice today in low 50s and I took the bike for a spin. I was going to put her away for the winter but after todays short ride (30+-) miles I decided I am going to see how long I can ride into the winter. Tomorrow I am going to my local gerbings dealer and buy a jacket liner and gloves and see how far that gets me. I have a 3/4 bell helmet with snap on shield and will wear a neck/face thingy. I am hoping it keeps me out there until it snows. I assume a full head helmet is probably the warmest but I really do not like be that closed in.
I have the same gear and run into the teans. Gerbin is good stuff.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I enjoy a cop half-lid with the zippered-in neck warmer, so I don't have to wear a fullface and feel like I'm in a bubble. Coupled with the amazing army neck gaiter, I can weather as I said, down to 18. Probably much lower than that, but I'd switch to the blaclava to keep the forehead from hurting.
Face shields were a dismal failure due to fogging. BTDT.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I enjoy a cop half-lid with the zippered-in neck warmer, so I don't have to wear a fullface and feel like I'm in a bubble. Coupled with the amazing army neck gaiter, I can weather as I said, down to 18. Probably much lower than that, but I'd switch to the blaclava to keep the forehead from hurting.
Face shields were a dismal failure due to fogging. BTDT.
I have a 3/4 helmet with a removable flip up face shield. I wear it in colder weather. At lights I just flip it up to stop the shield from fogging up and flip it down when I'm on my way. Once moving there are no fogging issues.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Ooops, I left out 2 things: my homemade hand shields, and crash bar chaps - and those are totally the bomb; feet will never get cold behind them.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baimo
If you're anything like me, the heated gloves and jacket liner will convince you the only thing that can stop you is snow. I have had my Wide Glide for three years and always rode mostly for my 70+ mile commute. I would bundle up and ride until lows went into the low 40's. At that point I couldn't take the clod at the end of my ride. It was just to painful, and my hand were so numb I started having trouble feeling the levers or pulling them. It was dangerous. I love riding but not more than my life or the ability to get o the next ride. Now I have the heated gear and I can't see any reason not to ride other than ice.

Having your hands and core warm makes all the difference. I have ridden in the upper thirties (as cold as it's gotten here so far this year) and I can truly say that by the time I get to work, my legs and feet are a little chilled but nothing I can't easily handle. I know I'll ride until the snow starts piling up. Ice and two wheels don't mix, in my world at least.

Mule

P.S. To those who choose not to ride in the cold, it's your bike ride it the way you want.

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!