The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
jmale1972
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Ain't nothing fun about riding when it's freezing out. Try a morning commute when it's pitch black and mid 30s for about 40 minutes. All you freezer jockeys riding 10 minutes to work when it's 30 ain't impressing anyone. You can do that in a sweat shirt and jeans.

Road to work today, 'bout 38 in the AM and still cold as **** for the commute home. Windy as hell, cloudy and about 45.

..but still I ride...
If there "aint nothing fun about it", the WHY??? Either your trying to impress someone, or you don't have any other means of transportation.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
Brotherhood? Why do people think they belong to some type of brotherhood when they buy a Harley? One of the salesmen at the dealer where I bought mine told me "Welcome to the brotherhood" and I was wondering what the hell he meant? Are we all kin now?
I thought the same thing. It was awkward when everyone there came to shake my hand.

Originally Posted by patrickd
Ride your bike when and where and how and in what temps or weather you want to. Be an individual. Take care of you and yours and lend a hand to anyone who needs one. You'll do just fine.
Well said. A good reminder.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benway
Ain't nothing fun about riding when it's freezing out. Try a morning commute when it's pitch black and mid 30s for about 40 minutes. All you freezer jockeys riding 10 minutes to work when it's 30 ain't impressing anyone. You can do that in a sweat shirt and jeans.

Road to work today, 'bout 38 in the AM and still cold as **** for the commute home. Windy as hell, cloudy and about 45.

..but still I ride...
Sounds about like my commute in the mornings usually (MD to DC).

It's a real blast when it's drizzling at that temperature. You're not sure if it's slush or ice hitting your face, all you can feel is the burn. And every time I hear my old gym teacher yelling "FEEL THE BURN!" Yeah, fvk you, old gym teacher.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRooster
Sounds about like my commute in the mornings usually (MD to DC).

It's a real blast when it's drizzling at that temperature. You're not sure if it's slush or ice hitting your face, all you can feel is the burn. And every time I hear my old gym teacher yelling "FEEL THE BURN!" Yeah, fvk you, old gym teacher.

What's killing me is it has been in the 20's every single morning and 50 and sunny in the afternoon. My ride is just too far to brave at those temps and by the time I get home after work (hoping for a quick ride), the sun is just starting to set and the cold really sets back in.

Originally Posted by jmale1972
If there "aint nothing fun about it", the WHY??? Either your trying to impress someone, or you don't have any other means of transportation.
I ride, froze to the bone in the AM so I can have a decent ride home. Gets harder and harder when the temps stay in the 20s.

Last edited by Benway; 11-08-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

Yeah to the too cold to ride. Twenties in the morning? Wallet,smallet I work in the crap weather all day and riding in ain't enjoyable. Forties to start and 50's and 60 in afternoon is fine. I'm too old, and the hands,and feet go numb when it's too cold.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM
cncprogrammer
6th Gear

Just purchased my first set of Gerbing heating gear, jacket, gloves, pants and insoles. This stuff works great, no more layering and fighting off the cold on those longer rides. Did 200 miles in mid 30 temperatures and never felt the cold. As long as it is dry I will continue to ride.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so damned cool! Now I really feel like a wimp for not riding out this morning.

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
I'm a Cheesehead don't ya know and youses guys are all bunch of amateurs ya den der hey.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jmale1972
Gas. Fortunately I live only 5-10 minutes from work, so a ride to work in the 40's isn't the worst thing that could happen. The reason I bought my Jeep was because I have to bike to ride. 40 mpg > 17 mpg. It has been really noticeable over the past two months that I haven't been able to ride the bike lately. I could fill up once every 2-3 weeks in the Jeep and that was that. I'm putting a lot more gas and miles on it now. It's 6 months old and just hit 5,500 miles.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Slickster63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Live in Denver ... rode to work all week. 40's in the morning, 70's in the afternoon. Lot's of sun

it's not going to last ... enjoying the hell out of it for now

taking some lunch hour rides for sure

Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Went for a 160 mile loop today. Came across two other bikes along the route. A 12 Gold Wing and a RGC Ultra. I was on my CVO so I don't know about wallet bikers but us fat wallet guys were out there.

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!