The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
I don't see many here either even though weather has been great. A little chilly in the mornings, 30-40, but beautiful in the afternoons, mid 60's-70's.
Same here in the Raleigh area in the mornings, 50's in the afternoons, and loving it. Yep, the number of other bikes has dwindled down to only seeing one or two others all week.

Monday's ride in the morning was less than pleasant. Temp low 50's, steady rain with howling winds (damned Sandy!), and of course it's still dark, but I didn't for one second wish that I'd taken my pickup.

Yesterday morning I was enjoying my ride SO damned much, then I looked down and saw I was doing 95. Oops. Normally keep it down to 80 on way to work.

This morning it was right around freezing, clear and calm, and I was loving my ride until one ******* in an SUV...well, I won't go there, but it put me in a postal mood this morning!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Here in Richmond, rode to work the past 3 days, did not see any other bikes coming or going to work. Yeah it's chilly and had to use the Gerbing gloves but fleece and leather is doing the job. Yes I wish it was summer again but have no plan on parking it. May try a full face helmet this winter though. When it get's down in the teens, feels like frostbite on the face.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Finally got a day off today, so I'm heading out for a good 3 hour ride. 44 degrees at last check this morning. At this point, the only guys still out riding are the BMW guys, the Goldwing crowd, and a few HD nuts like me.
Originally Posted by Rick-e
Oh my fawking God! You're in San L Obispo and it's getting "cold"??? What is that? Like 65 degrees or something?

Give me a break!
No kidding!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The colder days also seem to lead to more idiots in cages around here. Two motorcycle accidents yesterday, including one fatality due to an old woman pulling out in front the guy. We also had a school crossing guard get hit yesterday as well.

Stay safe out there.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I will just keep riding until it snows here. That will be my limit. As long as there is no snow or ice, I will ride my bike when I have the time. I was out last weekend in the rain and cold here as the storm was coming in. There was too much rain and wind from Monday on. I don't want to push my limits.

I am just the newbie rider but when I went to the dealer Saturday to go to the Halloween raffle event, there were only two bikes parked--myself and the head of the HOG chapter. I was chatting with the guy that sold me the bike. He was like, "You road today??" When I started riding in the rain this fall. it really wasn't that bad. With the windhsield and rain suit, the only time it gets annoying is when I am stopped. As far as the cold, I also ski all winter so it doesn't bother me. I have insulated waterproof ski pants, jacket, gloves etc..

Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

rode home from clubhouse last sat it was 32deg at 12pm.......26 the other morning......do you even see 26deg in CA?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
sobluemf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man guess times have changed in ole SLO. Never saw many winter riders in SLO and Lived and worked in the area many years. Even attended Shell Beach Elem and Old Mission School. Am guessing that area has grown a ton. Used to ride for Vetter way back when they were around and never saw any bikes out side the town once it dropped below 50. Great town. Only have one realitive back there now. Have fun man!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Six of us left Ft Hood area this past Saturday at 6am (39 degrees) and rode almost 3 hours (Grand Prarie) at plus 70mph...Long underwear, chaps, thick gloves, facemask work wonders..

Ride almost everyday here...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Now that its getting cooler and moist all the wallet bikers have put there bikes away and hopped in the suv's. Now all I see are the 5 or 6 regulars on the road. Winters coming!

The OP is from San Luis Obispo, CA. Now this is a serious question coming from a guy living in MN where it was 27 degrees when I rode into work today.

But are kidding me, that people park their bikes for winter in central California?

It's beyond my comprehension!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm digging the bikes love of cold air. Seems to want to run and run hard. Cruising on the interstate yesterday at 70mph I needed to pass a slow poke so I cracked the throttle and the bike just jumped to 80mph. I may move to some place colder!

Quick Reply: Looks like all the wallet bikers are off the roads now!