The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,905 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I see a lot of 1%er's wearing FF around here.
Concur. Very common.

I wear a FF on my FXR all the time, and usually a 1/2 on my bagger. My FF Bell Star has a photochromatic shield, so I never have to change it (day to night)…very handy.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

It's FF or nothing and i always wear. A fellow biker hit a deer last night and they air evacuated him with massive head injurires. He flew off the bike and slid down the road. Didn't collide with any solid objects other then the ground. Wasn't wearing.

I've been wearing since i started riding around age 7 on mini bikes. Nothing in life is certain but there is no reason for us to be idiots to not do all we can to protect ourselves and the ones we love. I'm a daily rider but most of HD riders here are weekend warriors and 9 out of 10 don't wear. I ride up till daytime temps are under 40 or snow is on the road. My bike gets washed once a year.

My helmet and leathers are the only thing between me and the road. Racers wear safety gear for the same reason i do. It's all about intelligent calculated risks when doing dangerous things. It's to bad that so many have to be involved in accidents before they make smart choices and thats if they survive it.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
apxpred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/2 when it's decent & full when it's not, the wife always wears a FF.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I always wear a full face on whatever bike I"m on.

The pavement is not any softer when crash on a harley, and my head does not become less important to me when I'm on my Harley either.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
BALLS172
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remike
I really don't like my full face but when the temperature drops on it goes....
This exactly

Old 10-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wore a Novelty helmet until my wife told me she was pregnant. I bought a FF the next day & like it a lot better than any other helmet I've worn. I don't get the drag from the 3/4 or bulky 1/2's & don't have to wear earplugs like i did in the Novelty...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I've got a half, 3/4 and full. They all get worn at one point or another...
Ditto.

I rode in more rain this summer than usual and each time I wish I had my FF. But if I'm to be honest, a FF doesn't really have the right look on a Harley - until you have an accident and it saves you from very expensive skins grafts to the face, then it looks very good.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a modular scorpion I always wear. I don't care if it doesn't look as cool or not. my face is WAY more important than my ego!!! I've has alot of people use the excuse "if you wreck it's not gonna matter about your face" etc.... my brother wrecked his sportbike coming out of hooters(been drinking) and just going through the median and got on it just a little. it almost busted the mouthguard part off the full face. imagine if he'd had on a half helmet. he'd lost teeth and had a **** load of stitches at the very least. I'll take my fullface anyday. plus me and my gf have the scalarider g4's on ours and we can talk, listen to mp3 player or fm radio and talk on our phone all through bluetooth with no wires if we want. to each his or her own though. I just think it's kinda stupid to value ego over common sense and safety you know what they say, you can't fix stupid lol

Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Texas has a helmet law. Everyone must wear a helmet, with 3 requirements to be exempt. Do you know what they are?

In the 2009 legislative session we successfully repealed the helmet exemption sticker. This sticker, or lack of, was too often used by LE as cause to stop and detain motorcyclists.
"The law prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner."

We have staved off several attempts by lobbyists, insurance industry, & many families who have lost loved ones and blame "no helmet", to remove the current law and institute a mandatory helmet law with no provisions. I expect we will lose our current helmet law completely within the next 2 legislative sessions.
yes i know what they are. and that is being just slightly nitpicky on your part. most would say we do not have a helmet law. but if you want to say we do with exemptions, thats fine. still i would like to know what obscure law the LEO was using that made the clubs wear FF.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
yes i know what they are. and that is being just slightly nitpicky on your part. most would say we do not have a helmet law. but if you want to say we do with exemptions, thats fine. still i would like to know what obscure law the LEO was using that made the clubs wear FF.
It's not that the LEO's were making them wear FF helmets, it's more that the clubs just go ahead and wear the FF that way the LEO's have no reason what-so-ever to pull them over for a BS helmet check just so they can hassle them for other reasons.

Quick Reply: Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?