The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only FF for me, I wiped out alot when I was younger and the FF saved my face on a few. I find it nice to have the option of putting it down for rain, really windy, and too many bugs.
One draw back is I get bugs that survive the hit to the side of my head, or land in the small space between my head and helmet, crawling into my ears and I can't get them out without taking the helmet off.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I only wear one when I don't want my head to get crushed in an accident.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
It's such an odd sight seeing seeing a guy/gal wearing a full face helmet on a Harley, I thought only the MotoCross, dirt bike, crotch rocket, etc. crowd wore them? I'm guessing a full face helmet may be a good choice for the winter rider in the northern states no matter what type of bike?

I don't even like wearing a helmet, but I wore a fullface just last Friday because it was cold. Nothing beats them for cold, rain and I'm starting to think it may feel better than a windshield on the highway.

I don't wear it for safety and don't sear one at all when the weather is OK, but if I'm going somewhere a DOT is required, at least the FF helps me hear my Ipod while I ride and keeps the sun off.

Of course, I'd rather not ride a motorcycle than wear that gay Star Wars POS you posted a picture of.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
any idea what that law would be? seeing as we dont have a helmet law, i wonder.
I ride the crotch rocket with a fullface, always. and ride the harley with no helmet.
the little redhead i met insists on a fullface on either bike.
doesnt bother me, i would like to keep her face looking like it does now, lol.
i wish i would have had the ff on the harley this past weekend, 873 miles in the texas hill country, mostly in the evening. big bugs and cold!

Texas has a helmet law. Everyone must wear a helmet, with 3 requirements to be exempt. Do you know what they are?

In the 2009 legislative session we successfully repealed the helmet exemption sticker. This sticker, or lack of, was too often used by LE as cause to stop and detain motorcyclists.
"The law prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner."

We have staved off several attempts by lobbyists, insurance industry, & many families who have lost loved ones and blame "no helmet", to remove the current law and institute a mandatory helmet law with no provisions. I expect we will lose our current helmet law completely within the next 2 legislative sessions.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
killerk95
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what, just wear whatever you feel comfortable with. My son & GF both wear FF on road trips and that's fine - whatever you like is good. I think people shouldn't worry so much about what everyone is or isn't wearing, as long as it isn't a pink spandex leotard.

Killer

Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Hellz Nah!

I am a North East Beast. Full helmets on HD's do not mix IMO.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't see them often on H-D's but l don't really think it's a big deal either way. I went from wearing half helmets to a 3/4 open face with a shield that almost covers my whole face. After getting caught in some real heavy showers, I can say that I was so glad to have this new helmet over my half helmets with glasses and have to endure the sting of the rain on my face. I can only imaging how much better a full face would be and I have actually been contemplating one for almost a year now. I think before all is said and done I will end up owning one and using it quite often.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

A cross between a "power ranger" and a "pirate"...

Appears to be an identity crisis...

Too funny...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
A cross between a "power ranger" and a "pirate"
Yeah, that's pretty much the look I go for

Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
boready2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FF can start to feel pretty heavy on a long ride

Quick Reply: Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?