The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
hevis1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default helmet

Wear what you like, in the end its your choice. Full face keeps your face from being ground off/smashed from the asphalt.The less coverage obviously will expose more, making your face more vulnerable. If you do go down, your head will be sure to stop moving/bouncing eventually, protected or not.
It all depends on how comfortable you want to feel and how you value life. It's always a risk when you ride. Just be cautious and ride safely. You must NEVER assume the other driver will be paying attention. They might even be texting....

Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

The truth of it is CB.. at the metric shop I was being helped, I sort of know the sales guy and he knew I was just shopping around. And I did go back to him for the full face, where like I said I got a what I thought was an outstanding deal. I do agree though, you make a valid point as far as being introduced to something you hadn't considered.. All things considered though, I'm prone to think it works out in the end..

Anyway, have a great weekend and ride safe

Cheers !

mavrick

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

This thread got me fired up to pull out the 'ole FF and take it for a spin. I actually enjoyed being able to pull up the shield at stop lights. Plus, when the sun disappeared, it was sweet not having to wear my goggles, which also fog quicker than the FF. Does that mean I will wear it all the time? No, but it's nice to have options.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

When you take off in the morning and it's -10 degree, when you can see your breath when your riding 100km/hr it's time to pull out the FF helmet.

I wear mine in extreme cold, pouring rain, or when it's sleet/snow/hailing out.

I wouldn't knock a person if they wore one full time either.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
h2o
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was in the 30s on the way to work this morning, I had mine on. When was leaving the gym yesterday, a guy limped past me on crutches and said keep wearing your helmet brother it saved my life. He was recovering from massive road rash and a compound fracture. He was cut off doing 50. The only thing that wasn't touched was his head and face. It got me thinking. I was wearing my open face at time and do wear a half around town.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Unfortunately purchasing a helmet online is the worst way to go about it. Different FF helmets will fit differently one brand you may find to be the **** will be very uncomfortable to another person and the other way around. There's a reason pay $400+ for Arai, Shoei, and other such brands and it's not just for the pretty colors.

and the reason is?, other than bragging rights ?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, they are better helmets. more quite, pass more stringent testing, and most think they are more comfortable.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing wrong with a full face helmet although I don't have one...don't seem to ever need one. I feel good with an open face.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I wear mine in extreme cold, pouring rain, or when it's sleet/snow/hailing out.
Ok I've read enough of your bravado, I'm calling bullshit. Do you mean to tell me you wake up on a cold December morning and take a look outside and it is torrential sleeting hailing slushy snow mixture, just awful northern weather. And instead of taking the cage, you go and fire the bike up but this time you grab the full face instead of the skid lid and ride off into a hail storm?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't wear a helmet at all.. I've been described by others as a risk taker...It's a tough lable to live with, but I do my best to live up to others expectations of me

Quick Reply: Wearing a full face helmet on a Harley ...Yea or Nay ?