The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New respect for riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it is worth mentioning that some of the better modern textile overpants are very effective. They are not as good as full leathers, but you don't need the same level of protection as a racer, unless you are doing 100 on the highway or around town.

I'm considering a nice pair of overpants as a reward for when I finish the project I"m on at work.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
So, you guys ride in full race leathers then? No? Why not? It is obviously the safest way to ride. We all know why and that is we all make a choice between safety and comfort. Just because you draw your line in a different place then others does not mean you are right and certainly does not mean you are any more intelligent then folks that weigh comfort a little higher on the scale then you do. I have yet to see anyone riding a Harley in full race leathers on the street and I rarely see anyone riding a sport bike on the street in them.

I have been riding for a while and I have crashed more then once. I have lost friends riding. The risks are clear to me. Yet, I still do not always wear leathers and I still do not always wear a full face helmet. Sometimes I ride in a t-shirt.

I am glad you are OK, crashing sucks.
Why does it have to be full race leathers? I'll wear a lether or textile jack with armor, jeans or riding pants depending on the situation, gloves, boots and a FF helmet. I'm OK with being hot in the summer and surviving the always possible accident over dying because I wasn't wearing gear.

And for the sport bike riders I used to ride with most of them would wear suits on the street. Of course, those weren't the ones that you guys complain about passing you in the same lane, doing wheelies, and acting like morons.

And I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the Darwin Award winners and intelligence, but I'm pretty sure there is.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Going down at 50 mph and doing the asphalt rag doll for 50 yards gave me a new appreciation for my leathers. I had only just put my leathers on for the ride home because it was starting to get cold. I still have the chewed up jacket, overpants, gloves, boots, and helmet. Nothing escaped without severe road rash except me. I now ride in triple digits temps with full leathers. With the vents open it isn't all that hot as long as I am moving, actually circulates air around me, also insulates me from any engine heat. Occasionally someone will comment about aren't you hot like that and I just reply that my wife thinks so.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Why does it have to be full race leathers? I'll wear a lether or textile jack with armor, jeans or riding pants depending on the situation, gloves, boots and a FF helmet. I'm OK with being hot in the summer and surviving the always possible accident over dying because I wasn't wearing gear.
I think you are missing my point. My point was the safest possible way to ride would be in full leathers, boots, gloves etc like the MotoGP riders. Most people do not ride in full race leathers because they are uncomfortable and hot. The decision is based on comfort vs safety. Everyone weighs them differently and comes to their own conclusion. What bothers me (I am not specifically accusing anyone, just a general comment) is the "you are an idiot because you do not wear the same safety gear I do" attitude from some people, when in reality they are not wearing "all" of the gear themselves. No doubt in my mind I would be better off sliding down the road in my leather pants and leather jacket, no doubt at all. I have tried it .

And for the sport bike riders I used to ride with most of them would wear suits on the street. Of course, those weren't the ones that you guys complain about passing you in the same lane, doing wheelies, and acting like morons.
I am not sure who "you guys" is, I do not recall complaining about sport bike riders doing anything. It could be the area, but I do not see many folks riding their sport bikes in 100 degree weather with full race leathers on unless they are on the track.

And I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the Darwin Award winners and intelligence, but I'm pretty sure there is.
Of course there is, but, some would argue riding a motorcycle is a dangerous activity. Heck, I have even had friends say it is stupid to take the risk. The point I am trying to make is people should not assume they are more intelligent or better understand the risks of being on a motorcycle just because they choose to wear more safety equipment. I am not sure there is a correlation between the amount of gear one wears and intelligence either

Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not sure who "you guys" is, I do not recall complaining about sport bike riders doing anything. It could be the area, but I do not see many folks riding their sport bikes in 100 degree weather with full race leathers on unless they are on the track.
Old farts on cruisers. There was a huge thread full of them around here somewhere.

That's because the guys in full leathers are either at the track or so remote back woods mountain roads.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 AM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you didn't get banged up more than you did and yes, you can be the most experienced guy on the road but 'stuff happens'.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 AM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man what a bitch fest!!

The OP was just sharing his experience with others. I didn't read anywhere that he was trying to change someones mind

wear a hazmat suit or a speedo.......to each his own

Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VTK
Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you didn't get banged up more than you did and yes, you can be the most experienced guy on the road but 'stuff happens'.
Thanks for that. I think you and strongwood got my reason for sharing this. It is so easy to think nothing bad will ever happen because you have ridden so long without an incident. My crash jolted me back to the reality of not being able to avoid a crash sometimes no matter how good your skills are. Stuff happens, like people running stop signs, pulling out of a side street into your path, etc.. All you can do is react. The other point was even a fairly low speed crash can be VERY painful, even WITH gear on. I'm not sure everbody realizes that. My Shoei helmet saved my noggin, and the boots saved my ankle. I do NOT think I am smarter than anyone. I just try and learn from experience. I think riding half naked shows an ignorance of what the consequences might be. It is also a bit arrogant-thinking nothing bad will EVER happen to ME. I was somewhat guilty of that.

As far as surviving a high speed crash in full leathers on a race course, yes, I have heard that. But we ride in the real world where hitting a solid object will kill ya no matter what you are wearing. That's what I was referring to. It aint the speed that kills you, it's the sudden deceleration...

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't take it personal. Like you I wear what I want when I want. I get tired of the atgatt preachers. I view the guys in shorts and flip flops as novices for the most part. Most riders fall in the middle between atgatt and those who ride in shorts and flip flops.
I was not directing my comment specifically at you, not at all. It was just a general comment that probably did not come across in the way I would have liked.

I am not sure why, but the ATGATT **** is getting to me lately. It is not all the gear all the time, it should be "all the gear I think I need to wear all the time" cause in reality, people are not wearing all the gear.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I've always believed in personal responsibility and not State/Insurance Cartel mandated law.

I think it's the rider's decision and no others....you must do what you think is best for you.

I've laid down a bike at 65+mph with just a jean jacket/pants/boots with a beer in each boot and upper jacket pockets.

I tumbled and rolled but didn't get opened up and didn't break one bottle.

If I'm riding long distance on the freeway, I wear leather pants, boots, jacket, full gaunlet gloves, and a modular full face helmet- I generally dress for the risk like high speed and asphalt.

Quick Reply: New respect for riding gear