The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Liz, that's a bit extreme that the guy would go through all the trouble to bring a bike and not ride it. I remember when I was a kid, a friend of my Dad's had a garage full of the latest bikes, all new or in mint condition, he never rode them, I don't think he even knew how. Some folks just like to be associated with bikes, I suppose that's ok.

One day I might get a trailer, so I can bring all the camping gear, wife, 2 dogs, cat, maybe a couple kids and go for a couple months. It's nice to live in comfort, better than sleeping in a pup tent in the ditch.

But my plan for next summer is: Canada coast to coast, part of the eastern seaboard of the US, then diagonal back to Calgary. No trailer on this trip.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see shipping my bike to a place I can't get to by land.... but If there are roads to trailer your bike, you might as well ride.

When I started, trailering was only an option when your bike wasn't fixable on the side of the road. Due to creativity of broke, but mechanically inclined individuals it only happened few times in my 30 or so years.
There's a crew that call themselves Poverty Riders. Rules are simple. Ride EVERYWHERE, no motels and no restaurants. Pretty simple, huh ???
Too bad they would not be considered "real bikers" here because they ride "lesser" motorcycles. Mostly Airhead BMWs.
Hope this explains why I'm such a ***** and have no respect for most of these new bikers/owners/patch collectors.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
Mostly I agree but the time off sometimes can be too much for people to sturgis from say FL. I am not saying I would do it because I wouldnt.
Funny thing I ever saw was a guy who trailer-ed his nighttrain to a BON halloween party weekend year before last it wass pre party friday then main bash sat night. It was in york at the wheelie biker bar. All of us got rooms at the closest hotel. Worse than trailing to a hotel an hour from your house. Well sat morning we all went to the plant to tour. He rode the three mins to that. Then a whole crew of us were going on a ride for a few hours. He didnt he stayed with the drink all day crowd. The next morning a set of us rode to breakfast. He drove his truck. Then he loaded the bike back on the tralier. SO he trailered an hour from home to ride to the factory (3 mins away) and have pictures of his bike at the factory. I do like the guy but didnt understand all the work of the trailer for that. Either ride or dont bring the bike.
I can understand , maybe, a 47 knucklehead, or another vintage h-d. But a late model belt driven, ride? I'm with you.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Mostly I agree but the time off sometimes can be too much for people to sturgis from say FL. I am not saying I would do it because I wouldnt.
Funny thing I ever saw was a guy who trailer-ed his nighttrain to a BON halloween party weekend year before last it wass pre party friday then main bash sat night. It was in york at the wheelie biker bar. All of us got rooms at the closest hotel. Worse than trailing to a hotel an hour from your house. Well sat morning we all went to the plant to tour. He rode the three mins to that. Then a whole crew of us were going on a ride for a few hours. He didnt he stayed with the drink all day crowd. The next morning a set of us rode to breakfast. He drove his truck. Then he loaded the bike back on the tralier. SO he trailered an hour from home to ride to the factory (3 mins away) and have pictures of his bike at the factory. I do like the guy but didnt understand all the work of the trailer for that. Either ride or dont bring the bike.
You do realize, that people rode old knuckleheads and flatheads ALL OVER this country before there were smooth highways, Starbucks and h-d dealers at every other exit ramp?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rocket23
I can understand , maybe, a 47 knucklehead, or another vintage h-d. But a late model belt driven, ride? I'm with you.
yo, Rocket
back around '85 or so, my '75 XLH took a **** the day before vacation. So, me and my GF at the time, rode my little rigid Triumph from Cleveland,OH across NY to Burlington, VT in 2 days, hung out there for the weekend, rode into Brooklyn, NY to see my peeps and back to Cleveland via Pittsburgh and Wheeling, WV.
2 weeks on the road and a lifetime of memories.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I'm sure you are up to speed that Starbuck is gang land.

You make a valid point (less your Starbuck bravado), Isn't the point of owning a sled, RIDING THAT BITCH... Don't see myself ever owning a trailer.

Originally Posted by alkay191
You do realize, that people rode old knuckleheads and flatheads ALL OVER this country before there were smooth highways, Starbucks and h-d dealers at every other exit ramp?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
I'm sure you are up to speed that Starbuck is gang land.

You make a valid point (less your Starbuck bravado), Isn't the point of owning a sled, RIDING THAT BITCH... Don't see myself ever owning a trailer.
no bravado
I love good coffee and though Starbucks is hardly best, I'm a frequent flier

Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

no bravado
I love good coffee and though Starbucks is hardly best, I'm a frequent flier

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I was referring to the vacation time not the ride time. Some people cant take the extra time off of work.
Like I said I wouldnt do it. And I rode my 883 to strugis from DC this summer then we dropped done and did the southern route home. All told I rode my 883 4700 through 14 states. So now when I do it again on a deluxe I will feel like a wimp. That was my longest trip but I took a lot trips. I rode the 883 almost 27000 in 2 years. And frankly roll my eyes when I hear people say you can't tour on a sportster. Granted mine was an 08 with a rubber mounted fuel injected electric starter so I got nothing on the old bikes. But I did buy mine to ride it

Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

I was referring to the vacation time not the ride time. Some people cant take the extra time off of work.
Like I said I wouldnt do it. And I rode my 883 to strugis from DC this summer then we dropped done and did the southern route home. All told I rode my 883 4700 through 14 states. So now when I do it again on a deluxe I will feel like a wimp. That was my longest trip but I took a lot trips. I rode the 883 almost 27000 in 2 years. And frankly roll my eyes when I hear people say you can't tour on a sportster. Granted mine was an 08 with a rubber mounted fuel injected electric starter so I got nothing on the old bikes. But I did buy mine to ride it
don't know if you want to be defined as such, but you're more of a "biker" than a lot of men (males) on this forum.

Quick Reply: Real Bikers?