The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Graybeard47
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real Bikers?

My first time in Sturgis was 1978, seen a little Asian guy there on a 250 Honda, he had rode all the way from California with just what he was wearing. This guy is a biker in my book! Been to Sturgis many times, but stopped in 1997, got to be a fashion show. Lots of $30,000 + bikes on trailers pulled by motor homes and SUV's. I always rode; wind, rain and hot! I proved to myself I could do it.
Rode to Laughlin, Nev in 1994 from my home in Colorado; 850 miles, eight months after open heart surgery. This was in the middle of April, so kinda cool, it was 32 degrees going over Raton Pass! Got to Laughlin it was 106! The River Run was trailers and motor homes, and high dollar bikes! Plus lots of skin in very small swim suits, damn near went blind! Again, to prove I could do it!
I'm almost 65 now, don't ride much anymore to many health problems and accidents!
To each their own, you can lie to others but you can't lie to yourself. I own motorcycles to ride, not haul around, why else would you own one?
My opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I rode from Palm Springs to Los Angeles at night with nothing but a t-shirt and jeans on. No windshield and apehangers. If you've ever been on the I-10 you know how treachourous the wind can be there. Does that make me a biker...no. Just a crazy motorcycle rider that forgot his jacket is all.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

The fun of owning a motorcycle is riding it. Pulling a trailer is not fun IMO. Just saying.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 AM
Asphalt_Eater
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I look at it, if you got a problem (health, age, injury, etc) that prevents u from riding whatever distance to a rally but u still decide to go, do w/e it takes to get there. If not, ride.
This year was the last year I will go to Sturgis. Its no longer a bike rally, its a fantasy camp for rubs. I seen a ton of bikes unloaded outside of town and rubbing dirt on faces. Hell I even witnessed a guy with fake luggage. (Stuffed a sissy bag with newspaper) If that's what does it for ya then w/e to each their own, but I think the time has come for me to move on.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Asphalt_Eater
Hell I even witnessed a guy with fake luggage. (Stuffed a sissy bag with newspaper).
I wonder if it was one of the same guys I saw trying that stuff in the military... He about **** himself when it was suggested that everyone empty their ruck half way through a road march.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM
baggerman11
Intermediate

Rode it from Tampa this year. Wife was gonna ride with me on her bike but chickened out at the last moment, the day we were leaving, loaded the motorhome, put her bike in the trailer. It was one of the best rides I've ever taken. Gonna do it solo next year, tent, sleeping bag, etc. Who cares how you get there as long as you get there one time before you can't. She had all the comforts of home, so did I when it came to stop for the day. Was tough on the old but though. Shoulders got a little worn out too.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by baggerman11
Rode it from Tampa this year. Wife was gonna ride with me on her bike but chickened out at the last moment, the day we were leaving, loaded the motorhome, put her bike in the trailer. It was one of the best rides I've ever taken. Gonna do it solo next year, tent, sleeping bag, etc. Who cares how you get there as long as you get there one time before you can't. She had all the comforts of home, so did I when it came to stop for the day. Was tough on the old but though. Shoulders got a little worn out too.
Props to you for riding.
I know a couple of losers that PU trucked their bikes from Sarasota to Daytona ....

Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,057 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
Props to you for riding.
I know a couple of losers that PU trucked their bikes from Sarasota to Daytona ....
That's f*cked up on a number of levels , damn . Would be more work getting them in and out than it would be worth .

I've made comments before about how the old ways have gone the way of the DoDo bird and I've come to believe the new breed never learned one simple fact . It's the ride and everything came with it not the destination . Getting there meant most of the fun was half over already . Now it's all the place and getting *** raped by vendors it seems .

Heart has gone out of it that's for damn sure

Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride if you want too. Trailer it if you have too. In the end it's up to the rider. Personally I will be riding til the snow flies. I love to ride. I bought a v-star 1100 to start,then graduated to my Harley. At least your riding.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Ride if you want too. Trailer it if you have too. In the end it's up to the rider. Personally I will be riding til the snow flies. I love to ride. I bought a v-star 1100 to start,then graduated to my Harley. At least your riding.
if you trailer it you're not a rider. you're a trailerer.

Quick Reply: Real Bikers?