The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radical bikes seen in Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
BIGSTEVEX3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya i seen the 1st one its cool as hell way cooler than the thousands of black street glides or thousands of cvo ultraglides BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were they clear coated? Looks like they heated the frame/tank to get an aged look.
Not my tastes, but I'd stop and check them out if I saw them.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmax
nice. We just returned yesterday ourselves. Noticed a few hand built cool bikes...v8's and such. Lots of custom jobs as well.
Honestly though we were too busy checking out the babe's and their skimpy little outfits to notice the bikes much.

come on with the pics already!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Duff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are cool as hell. To me it doesn't matter what engine is in it as long as it's a motorcycle. As an aside I LOVE the re-birth of the hand built cafe racers from all manners of ricers and brit bikes. They are da bomb. I probably should check to see if they have a forum...probably NO threads on who waves first, or where can I put a patch on a vest!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
Not a fan of those. I can appreciate the time someone put into them though.
Yep. Those are some ugly bikes, but it's cool that they built them.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

Your wife is at work how about uploading those babe photos you shot up at Sturgis next for us to view

Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,676 Likes on 9,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Grog
Back in the day most guys were riding hondas triumphs bmws and the like they didn't have the money for the nice Harleys and as for customizing them well they had to make the stuff them selves since aftermarket goodies were not around.
the guys that built bikes out of piles of what we call trash nowadays I have to take my hat off to them they had a vision and the skill to make something out of nothing. most of them were a bit on the crude side by todays standards but not many machinists were into making bike parts so most of those rat bikes or chops came out of garages with nothing but a bunch of hand tools.
So what if a guy builds a chop with a Honda engine if the bike had a Harley engine in it it would still be the same value. most people are so into factory original bikes with bolt on parts they bought they would walk right by something like this.
when was the last time any one here took a flat piece of steel and made something for their bike? or should I set the bar a little lower, how many people even change their own oil?!
Ok i'll get off my soap box now.
It's nice to have skills and equipment to weld there Grog, but a lot of us have other pursuits in life. Now are you referring to side covers or other decorative parts of the bike, or the forks and frame when you're talkin about makin your own? I've seen the work of wanna be welders as their stuff folds on the dotted line because they didn't reach the right temperature in the process, but hey, they gave it a shot right? How about paint jobs. Do you have all the equipment and skills to do the photo quality paint jobs ya see at the shows? Some guys can do a decent job with spray can paint jobs. So what is the objective of making it yourself or buying it over the counter? Some folks are impressed by a certain combination of parts while others have other tastes. Nobody is going to please everyone with their design.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Some guys post pictures of their weld jobs. They look like chit, but they are proud of it.
Hopefully they got a good penetration bead because the cover bead, (if they did one) looks like some of the welds done where I work.
Fast job and the welder doesn't care what it looks like any more.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt even say they are ugly .. but if you wanna talk about that white deluxe with 26 inch f/w go right ahead ..... now THAT is ugly !