The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long whips on right side leather??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:04 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

These leads possibly originated with horses.
You go to most any tack and bridal and they have these leads in nylon or leather. Apparently waaayyy back when many bikers referred to their rides as their "iron horse" and these leads got popular.

I have no idea if this is true, the old fart clubber who told me this was a bit drunk.

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:08 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
A guy who was making them out of Bakersfield, CA. suggested not to run them until johnny law figures out what he wants.
I couldn't find his blog again, but here's a older writeup about them
http://blondiesblog-hrmm.blogspot.co...ly-weapon.html

Thats a very good idea. These were taken off club bikes around San Antonio for over a year due to a murder case where the DA attempted to make the lead a deadly weapon. I dont know if it was used as a weapon in the death or not.
The guy was acquitted, and clubs put them back on their bikes. This was maybe 3 years ago.

Old 07-19-2011 | 03:48 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos

"A slung shot has been defined as a weight, as a stone or a piece of metal, fastened to a short strap, chain, or the like, and used as a weapon and is prohibited by California Penal Code §12020."

They are not illegal to own. If you use it as a weapon then it is prohibited by code.
A pencil isnt illegal to own but if you shove it through the ear into the brain its a deadly weapon. If you say it comes up once a week why the wrong response?
You are correct...they're not illegal to own.

You can have them on your bike too...as long as it's fixed to the bike and cannot be removed easily and swung.

All of them I've seen on bikes in Cali are fixed to teh levers with a pin or bolt. If it's loose...it's illegal on a bike.

Last edited by meatsack; 07-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2011 | 03:56 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by Kowan
A guy who was making them out of Bakersfield, CA. suggested not to run them until johnny law figures out what he wants.
I couldn't find his blog again, but here's a older writeup about them
http://blondiesblog-hrmm.blogspot.co...ly-weapon.html
Yep...there it is.

I call Bullshit on her stating this though...."We would never use a “get back” as a weapon." She explains what you can do with it and says they would never....right....

Old 07-19-2011 | 09:13 PM
Oldman - New Iron
Tourer

Originally Posted by meatsack
You are correct...they're not illegal to own.

You can have them on your bike too...as long as it's fixed to the bike and cannot be removed easily and swung.

All of them I've seen on bikes in Cali are fixed to teh levers with a pin or bolt. If it's loose...it's illegal on a bike.
I was also told the same thing, has to be fixed.

Old 07-19-2011 | 11:03 PM
smokey196240
|
Advanced

Ca.and some other states are so intent on taking the freedoms from the people see I would not use the getback as a weapon thats why I carry a glock and marbles in my pocket

Old 07-22-2011 | 09:08 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Then I guess if I took my antenna off and whipped at a car with it, that would be outlawed as well. That could go for helmets, boot laces, scarfs, bandanas, brake lines, grocery bags. Geez, will these libs ever give up.

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:24 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Geez, will these libs ever give up.
Not until we address each other as "comrade".

Old 07-22-2011 | 10:20 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Then I guess if I took my antenna off and whipped at a car with it, that would be outlawed as well. That could go for helmets, boot laces, scarfs, bandanas, brake lines, grocery bags. Geez, will these libs ever give up.
This could be pure genius. I move everyone begin taking off their helmets and smashing the windows and lights of cagers who are less than attentive to bikers. Then maybe some snot nosed whipper snapper DA will get a bug up his *** and start lobbying to outlaw helmets.

Bones

Old 07-22-2011 | 10:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

For some kid to grab mine while the bike is moving he would most likely have to get past the highway bars while the bike is rolling. I doubt if he could dump me or the bike and the most likely event would be to wiggle my clutch lever and handle bars. This time I have had one on both bikes for over eight years with no issues. I have had them in the past with no incidences.
Originally Posted by Ouroboros
I saw a kid grab hold of one at a rally one time as people were slowly riding down the main drag. I'm pretty sure that was the last time he thought it was cool to have a long tassel hanging from his handle bars.

Quick Reply: Long whips on right side leather??